Buying/replacing a bad hall sensor on an electric hub motor

B

Blaze

I have been trying very hard to find out where to get new hall sensors. I did a lot of searching and cross-referencing, and I found some sensors from Honeywell that should be a direct replacement. There are other manufacturers that are easier to find, but actually ordering them seems to be very difficult.

The Honeywell part number is SS41. You can get them from Digikey.com using Digikey part number 480-1999-ND. They are $1.45 each, with a $5 handling fee for small orders, and you can have them shipped via USPS for about $2.

I will post again after I install and test the new hall sensors. Since they are not from the same manufacturer as the original hall sensors, I am just going to go ahead and change all 3 sensors, just to make sure the sensitivity is exactly the same for all 3.

BTW, my controller sends about 5vdc to the hall sensors, and they respond with about 4.3vdc when they switch on.

Blaze, having an electric hub motor myself I'm enjoying your posts. I enjoy riding my gas motor bike more than my electric hub. I mainly ride the electric when I want a good workout because the slower speed allows me to pedal harder. I hope that you get your bike up and running again soon. Could bad hall sensors have anything to do with the inability to get the higher speeds?

I'm glad you like the posts. I hope they prove to be useful for people trying to work on their electric hub powered bikes. It's hard to find information for some of the stuff I am trying to figure out.

Hall sensors could affect your speed, I guess. When your motor can only go 7mph and it runs all choppy, then it's probably a bad sensor. I don't know if different sensors could get you an extra couple miles per hour, though.

The next thing I am thinking about it trying to advance the timing a little to make the motor go faster. Since I will be getting some extra hall sensors, I might grind out some notches to install an extra set of 3 sensors, only moved over a little for advanced timing. Then maybe I could switch from one set to the other, kind of like having a second gear. I've never advnced timing on an electric motor before, so I will have to read up on it. That would be cool and it would only cost a few bucks. I'm not sure why those haven't already been produced. Maybe advanced timing doesn't make a very big difference, but I guess I will find out.

Blaze said:
I'm glad you like the posts. I hope they prove to be useful for people trying to work on their electric hub powered bikes. It's hard to find information for some of the stuff I am trying to figure out.
it's sure gonna help me...

we recently deleted a dead "Electric Drive" forum...if the community wanted it back we would accomodate 8)

electric forum

That might be a good idea. There a couple stickies that should go up to keep people safe. The two main things would be recommending a torque arm for the electric front hubs, and adding some sort of safety catch for the front wheel. My kit didn't have either of these things, and the front wheel has come off 4 times (once in traffic) as I try to perfect the installation. The 4th time broke wires and electronics, and now I am waiting for parts before I can fix it. Even if the electric forum goes dead again, we already have enough posts to make it worthwhile to keep it up as a reference archive.

By the way, how do you post a poll? I was going to try to find out if anybody alse was having problems with the front hub spinning off, or if it was just the high-torque 48v 600w hub I'm using.

another blow out

Augie I got another flat the other day(a staple this time) and am really interested in your tires that we talked about how much for a 26" 2.25 and where can I call to order them .
What is the price per tire I may get both at a time or maybe 4 and just go ahead and set up both bikes.
Cookie

tellya what cookie, i'll contact the guy, find out what's up, then i'll post a nice informative review, ok?

Back