Buzzbike pushing limits of a 48cc!

Urban Fatbiker

Local time
9:40 PM
Today was the hardest 20 mile loop I have done. It involves two deep valleys, lots of hill climbing, freewheeling, repeat.

I tried it ONCE using FD, and it failed, I had to push it out.
Done it a few times with my etrike, it had a dualdrive hub and 750W middrive, and I still had to help it up fearing it was gonna melt my nylon gear, or my chain would break and I'd tumble backwards.

There's no cell service either. Found that out last time I got Buzzbike ver1 stuck there. 😳

So I knew what I was in for, a workout at best, and a really screwed day if it couldn't do it.

THIS is where a solid jackshaft shifter, thats geared specifically for power assist in lower-mid RPM, shines. The amount of assist I had to give was reasonable, and I even got breaks going up sometimes.

I avoided dropping to 1st except for the one climb that got me years ago, I found it easy enough to pedal in pulses to bump it into higher RPM, and rest a bit till it sagged too much.

I'm pleased, that's the worst 20 mile ride I can throw at it, and it did very well.
And so did I, with both me and 48cc stroking it, we can climb anything.

Enjoy the scenery.

FTR I didn't cross the creek. My hookworms wif hundreds of miles on them ain't made for that. Neither are my bones.
20220802_105719.jpg
20220802_112917.jpg
20220802_120543.jpg
20220802_121351.jpg

I too live in the mountains ⛰ and am a large person 240 lbs. I use a 4 stroke 33cc RS 35 engine. My bike has a Staton Inc gearbox ⚙ 📦, a triple chainring shift kit and a custom built 7 speed 34-13 freewheel. The reduction range is 66.79:1 to 16.25:1 for a total of 9 sequential non-redundant ratios. All shifting is done with the left hand using a color coded system. I can go up 30% grade hills with no problem at all.

20210704_204623.jpg

20210704_205017.jpg

20210704_204946.jpg

Today was the hardest 20 mile loop I have done. It involves two deep valleys, lots of hill climbing, freewheeling, repeat.

Done it a few times with my etrike, it had a dualdrive hub and 750W middrive, and I still had to help it up fearing it was gonna melt my nylon gear, or my chain would break and I'd tumble backwards.

There's no cell service either. Found that out last time I got Buzzbike ver1 stuck there. 😳

So I knew what I was in for, a workout at best, and a really screwed day if it couldn't do it.

THIS is where a solid jackshaft shifter, thats geared specifically for power assist in lower-mid RPM, shines. The amount of assist I had to give was reasonable, and I even got breaks going up sometimes.

I avoided dropping to 1st except for the one climb that got me years ago, I found it easy enough to pedal in pulses to bump it into higher RPM, and rest a bit till it sagged too much.

I'm pleased, that's the worst 20 mile ride I can throw at it, and it did very well.

Enjoy the scenery.

FTR I didn't cross the creek. My hookworms wif hundreds of miles on them ain't made for that. Neither are my bones.
View attachment 178367View attachment 178368View attachment 178370View attachment 178371
Nice ride, Love those beautiful country roads
But I wouldn't worry too much about your engine breaking down you still can ride out as a bicycle.
It's not that far, your bike isn't that heavy.
Don't forget to bring an air pump/patch kit/extra tube.

You kids these days, always relying on GPS and a cell phone :ROFLMAO:

Maybe a few bottles of water LOL

Enjoy the scenery.

View attachment 178367View attachment 178368View attachment 178370View attachment 178371

Is this still your setup?

4.1×(21÷9)×(44÷9)×(32÷30)=49.89:1

4.1×(21÷9)×(44÷9)×(11÷30)=17.45:1

Since you like off roading maybe this would be a good set up for you. This 4 speed 34-16 freewheel would give you a reduction range of: 53.01:1 to 24.94:1. There'd be bigger jumps between the ratios with less shifting and a reduction in the amount of cross chaining you're currently doing. I'd advise using a tachometer if you don't already have one.

Thread '4 Speed Freewheel' https://motoredbikes.com/threads/4-speed-freewheel.58615/

Back