CA DMV Issued My Plate In 2 Weeks!

Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by CroMagnum, Sep 20, 2011.

  1. CroMagnum

    CroMagnum Member

    I haven't even finished building my bike yet (the paint it still drying). So when I mailed my REG230 form in on Sept. 6th, I figured I had some time to get it done. Apparently not, because this is what I received in the mail 2 weeks to the day on September 20th:



    A couple of notes -

    For the make I said "Diamondback" and for V.I.N. I merely used the bike's serial number. The discussions I've seen about how you have to have an official DOT-assigned 17 digit VIN is just plain bunk. Use the bike's serial. It works just fine. At least in CA.

    I used some number I found on the engine, which for all I know is a part number or a date code. In the future I'll probably just put down the bike serial again.

    Even though I typed the form, they misspelled my last name. It's close enough. I sincerely doubt that DMV employees are actually displaced NASA personnel.

    I mistakenly sent in $18 instead of $19, and they still issued the plate.

    One thing I wonder about is payment. I've read it takes 6-8 weeks, but mine was issued in 2 weeks total turn around. I used a Postal Money Order instead of a personal check. I wonder if some of the delay is because the DMV sits on the application for a few weeks to make sure the check clears?

    The funny thing now is I'm upside-down compared to most of you who ride your MB around without registration while waiting for the DMV to take their sweet time. But now I've got the plate but no bike!

    I gotta put that thing together and do some ridin'! :grin5:

  2. MotorBicycleRacing

    MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

    I paid for my plate with a $19 Postal Money Order too and it took about 3 weeks to get it.

    From my issue date of 5/18/2011 about 600 plates have been sent out going by your plate number.
    Seeing that the plates are used for Mopeds too it's hard to know how many motorized bicycles are getting plates.

    Definitely use the stamped number from your bike because how else could you prove that the bike is yours if stolen?
  3. ZnsaneRyder

    ZnsaneRyder Member


    I was wondering if that would work!

    Now I live in Florida, but I'm going to try it like that and see what happens.

    Register as a Moped, cool!i

    Maybe if I did what you did, I would still have my bike today.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  4. darwin

    darwin Well-Known Member

    I wonder if those poor NYers had a CA plate on their bikes if NY would have to recognize it as a legal vehicle to be on the road with every state having to honor anothers statutes........dunno if thats the right terminology.
  5. CroMagnum

    CroMagnum Member

    I also wondered about that - what about the "full faith and credit" clause? States are obligated to honor legal procedures from other states like driver's licenses, vehicle registrations, marriages, divorces, business contracts, etc. It even applies to vehicles like my trailer that, just like my MB, only required a one-time payment for a non-expiring license plate. I can hitch it up and tow it to Arizona, NY, or any other state and the police are powerless to do anything about it.

    You could handle it two ways:

    1. Have someone else register their MB in a different state and ride it in NY. Since it has a legal license plate and registration, they can't legally prohibit it from operating on the open roads. --Or --

    2. Register the MB in CA under their own name. You have a valid registration, so it's street legal.

    I believe every state has a law that says if you bring a vehicle in from out-of-state you have X-number of days (30, 60, 90) to register it in your home state. So you wait until you get a ticket, and take it into the DMV for a NY plate. Make them tell you they refuse to register it (get it on cellphone cam if you can), go to court and tell the judge that the state won't issue a plate.

    This is where they hit a legal snag. On one hand, how can they legally prohibit a properly licensed vehicle from another from operating in NY? And how can they give out traffic tickets for failing to register a vehicle in NY that the state refuses to register?

    One piece of advice - throughout this ordeal, try not to come across like a DUI-convicted trailer park crank in the papers like the Florida crew. :grin5:
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  6. KillerMaB

    KillerMaB Member

    Or better yet, try not to come across as a "fast-talking, unfriendly, shallow, flaky, struggling actor, yuppy type."
    :detective: :cool2: :ack2:
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  7. ZnsaneRyder

    ZnsaneRyder Member

    Wow, this thread just started, now he's banned.........

    Anyway, folks, lets keep it going to see what we can do to get Valid Tags BEFORE putting the bike on the road!
  8. Big Red

    Big Red Active Member

    Ca. Reg.

    Thanks CM, This is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to go in to DMV armed to the teeth and you just made that possible. Or do you think it's better to just mail it in so there's no one to argue with at all.
    Thanks again,
    Big Red.
  9. MotorBicycleRacing

    MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

    Do not go to the DMV unless you like wasting your time.
    I don't think that the branches even have plates to give you.

    Mail the form and $19 and you will have your plate in 2 to 3 weeks
    mailed to you from Sacramento.

    My plate took 3 weeks.
  10. Big Red

    Big Red Active Member

    Ca. Reg.

    Thanks, That sounds like a much better idea. Wouldn't want to confuse some poor DMV worker. Most of the time I get the one that has an accent that I can't understand anyway. Just my kind of bad luck I guess.
    Big Red.
  11. Big Red

    Big Red Active Member

    3 wheeled recumbent

    Sorry to do post after post, but I thought of something I should find out about before I send my form to DMV. I'm gonna try to register my Zuma-Frankenstiened 3 wheeled recumbent motorized. Would it still be considered a MOPED? Mopeds have 2 wheels, right, so what do I register it as? I'll include a pic. so everyone can see what I'm talking about. Yes, it has pedels.
    Big Red.

    Attached Files:

  12. MotorBicycleRacing

    MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member
    Download the Motorized Bicycle license plate application form
    REG 230

    The first of 4 questions in Section A is.

    1) Two or three-wheel device?

    Motorized bicycles can have 3 wheels.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  13. CroMagnum

    CroMagnum Member

    I'm back!! I won't go into the details, but it involved a stripper in a g-string and a pole. :grin5:

    Big Red, like MBR sez forget about appearing in person at the DMV. From the horror stories I've read here you can't rely on the local DMV Drones to get it right. The mail option works much better. Use a Postal Money Order for payment and it seems to take weeks off the processing time.

    Three wheels is good to go! Also by mailing in the REG 230 there's no sort of inspection. So if you do get pulled over you have legitimate paperwork that matches your tri-wheeled monstrosity. What's the cop going to do when you hand him the official registration? "Gee, it must be legal officer, because the DMV issued me a plate!" :grin5:

    BTW, this gives me an idea. After I build up the Roadmaster mountain bike and a Schwinn OCC, I'll actually have a complete extra 80cc kit left over (if it ever arrives from China). Maybe I'll try and find a cheap recumbent on Craigslist and build a nice sit-down MB.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  14. justinsidethegates

    justinsidethegates New Member

    Can someone post the address you sent the money order to and the form you had to fill out?
    Its just for the sake of compiling all the info in one place so i can come back to this thread when i decide to send it in for the plate.

    @CroMagnum Btw i'm, in Socal and it would be cool to have a meet up in LA sometime i feel. Also we're meeting up at the racetrack at the end of the month if you want to make the trip.
  15. Big Red

    Big Red Active Member


    Hey CM, as long as it wasn't you wearing the G-string I guess it's OK. Anyway, welcome back. And Yeah, Riding a sit down bike is a very different experience. Just be REAL carefull. Being lower to the ground makes it harder for the cages to see you. But it's just an all around more relaxing ride. I have a tall safety pole with a light on top and a flag to make me more visable to traffic.
    And after thinking about it for about 3 seconds, I realized that dealing with a state worker with a third grade education is not my idea of a good time. So I'm taking the good advise given to me and mailing it in.
    Again, Welcome back, and whatever it was you did, Don't do it again.
    Big Red.
  16. Big Red

    Big Red Active Member


    MotorBicycleRacing posted the link to the form. The address is on it.
  17. MotorBicycleRacing

    MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member
    Print out the Motorized Bicycle license plate application form.
    REG 230
    The mailing address and instructions are on the one page form.

    See you at Grange race track on Sat Oct 22nd. :D