Calif laws (enforcement) still messed up

freekin laws

my bad as I am new here, good point.
Trust me have done my research..
But definitely cannot say that I'm right. Thanks for the info

Ca. Law

Hey cali,
Trying to figure out California law concerning M.B.'s has been a REAL learning experience for me. it took me almost a year to go through the DMV website to find everything. And let me tell you, They don't make it easy.
All that said about the law and DMV, I STILL RIDE FREE. Untill the cop's catch on, they can ---, Well, you know what they can do.
Thanks
Big Red.

The speed limit for gas bikes in ca. is 30mph. (electric= 20mph)
And riding one under the age of 16 is ILLEGAL. And if you are 16 or older you are still REQUIRED to wear a helmet.

The catch is.... why would you be carrying a drivers license if you're not driving???

Cops can only write tickets to John and Jane Doe without a drivers license... unless, of course, you OFFERED them your name!!! If they ask for your name, address, SSN, etc.... so they can fill in the blanks on their uniform traffic ticket citation.... why not ask, "Am I obligated to have a name? Am I obligated to have an address? Am I obligated to have a SSN?" The correct answer is "No", "No", and "No". After he replies accordingly, ask if he has any further questions and if you're able to continue exercising your right to free travel...

The catch is.... why would you be carrying a drivers license if you're not driving???

Cops can only write tickets to John and Jane Doe without a drivers license... unless, of course, you OFFERED them your name!!! If they ask for your name, address, SSN, etc.... so they can fill in the blanks on their uniform traffic ticket citation.... why not ask, "Am I obligated to have a name? Am I obligated to have an address? Am I obligated to have a SSN?" The correct answer is "No", "No", and "No". After he replies accordingly, ask if he has any further questions and if you're able to continue exercising your right to free travel...

While that sounds good on the surface, and no one is required to carry ID......I had a friend use that same tactic. Seems the officer got really curious and thought he looked an awful lot like a suspect they were looking for.

At the end of the day what he got was several hours at the station being "questioned", the police identified him and released him.

And yes, they did not forget about the ticket.

Who was the ticket written out to? Mickey Mouse?

Anybody can be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and a DL, name, address, SSN, and DOB are *not* going to help if that's the case. The only thing will help is NOT harming someone, damaging property, or committing fraud.

Sure, you can make the cops feel less anxious, but they're already anxious from iPhones... http://apple.slashdot.org/story/11/06/24/2017248/LulzSec-Document-Dump-Shows-Cops-Fear-of-iPhones ... should we bring our DLs and leave the iPhones at phone?? ... just to appease the cops?

They issued it to him.....He was identified and eliminated as a "suspect" in a unrelated crime.

The point is, if someone follows your advice, the police can get iritable and have ways to legally get what they want.

In other words....Don't PO the PD

Now.....back on topic.

Last edited:
i used to get hassled on my goped all the time. and i have yet to be pulled over on my bike. if i was worried about getting in trouble that much i would just get a moped.

In other words we know that.....his problem is that the DMV lady did not and told him it was not needed.

you hit it Stan
there is one of my problems
even supervisors working the Calif DMV knows not everyTHING
I also know what is written in the law
that is why I took my DMV M2 test
interesting though
did you guys check out the email above from the pooolice
stating I could ride without a license ????????
I did not post my only letter have another one also

EVEN THE POOOLICE AT TIMES DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE LAWS ARE

Ride That Thing

MM

The topic is not about being afraid of the law or how to beat a ticket.

It is about MM trying to follow the law and the bureaucrats not knowing the law.

Please don't high jack the thread.

Last edited:
Ca. Law

Hey tone2crazy,
Just becouse you're not getting hassled now don't mean you wont in the future. There are A LOT of responsible M.B. riders that are just trying to do the right thing. One day the cops are going to catch on and there will be a mad scramble of bikers trying to get their M-2. I've had my run in's with the law and I can assure you of one thing. IF THEY WANT, they can give you the worst day of your life. So why P. them O.
The first time I get a ticket I'm going straight down to DMV to make an honest man of myself. I have no illusions that we'll get away with no M-2's forever.
Thanks,
Big Red.

Back