Calif laws (enforcement) still messed up

Ca. Law

Right after I posted I had another thought. Getting your M-2 for your 2-stroke in California may soon be a moot point. As it stands now, It is VERY difficult to get ANYONE to ship a 2 stroke engine to California. We may all soon be riding 4 strokes or electric's. This is really about to put me out of business as I've been building and selling 2 strokes for over four years now.
This may be "off topic" but I thought I'd throw it in as an afterthought.
Also, Is there a thread dealing with how to get 2 stroke engines in Ca?
Just my 2 cents
Big Red.

selling one of those 2-stroke things

This is really about to put me out of business as I've been building and selling 2 strokes for over four years now.

sounds like it may be time for you to slowly
convert over to selling all 4-strokers

knowing Calif government as I do -- ex City worker
the day will come in Calif when one would not wish to get caught
selling one of those 2-stroke things
they (I think) will be fining the heck out of sellers

MM

Ca. Law.

Hey MM,
I agree it would be better if we could all afford 4 stroke kits. But a LOT of us that are less fortunate simply can't afford $600.00 ( for a decent kit) to $1.000 or more all total to put a M.B. together. MOST motorbikers have one of those "2 stroke things" and I don't think California law makers really thought this through. I think what will happen is that a lot of bikers will be left out in the cold with no alternative. They will simply give up on M.B.s and go buy a 20 or 30 year old Ford V-8 becouse they are cheap and at those prices they can't afford both. So in the long run, us poor folk are left running around in gas guzzeling, old, V-8 cars. YEAH, THAT will help the air quality in California.
But in the end, I still have agree with you. Knowing California government as "I DO". (I've never worked for the city in my life) "THE DAY WILL COME".
Just my 2 cents,
Big Red.

No issues yet.

Generally I ride once a week to the Balboa complex at the Sepulveda Basin. They have a great bike trail though I must admit it is in deteriorating shape except that which goes around Lake Balboa. I generally pedal my EZIP bike to the park and only use very short bursts of the battery. Riding it in the street is quite dangerous because the street has no bike lanes painted so I take the sidewalks to and from the park pedaling of course for most of the way. I have passed several Police here at times and they didn't even take time to notice. Then I passed a parked police car where an officer was sitting and he didn't really appear to care. Again I was off the electric throttle so I appeared pedaling.

At the bike route I use a combo of battery and peddle power. It seems that on the bike path I have passed police on bike wearing a cap not a helmet as I hate straps around my neck. Nobody said anything. I also find that many on the lightweight ten speeds often go much faster than I do at full throttle and that is the others pedaling a regular bike. One last note. One day I spotted some guy riding an open full throttle gas MB on the bike path at around 25 to 30 mph. Again a police car was near by and they seemed to ignore it here in the L.A. area.

My one understanding was that helmets for adults over 18 were optional, but under 18 were required. I have heard that from several local sources here. I am sure it must vary from municipality to municipality of course.

Last edited:
(in Calif)

My one understanding was that helmets for adults over 18 were optional, but under 18 were required. I have heard that from several local sources here. I am sure it must vary from municipality to municipality of course.

no slickone
that is one THING for sure (in Calif)
one is suppose to wear a helmet (while riding a motorized bicycle)
and not the bicycle type (that I wear)​

Hey MM,
I agree it would be better if we could all afford 4 stroke kits. But a LOT of us that are less fortunate simply can't afford $600.00 ( for a decent kit) to $1.000 or more all total to put a M.B. together. MOST motorbikers have one of those "2 stroke things" and I don't think California law makers really thought this through. Big Red.

that is for sure
Calif seems not to have a true clue
trying at times to bust down on little motor bikes
bottom line
most all at least here in San Diego
falls to the individual Cities
a couple of small Cities within San Diego County
are totally down on any and all motorized bicycles
then with serveral others that seem to care less

MM​

Last edited:
Helmet

Hey Slickdude, Check out Ca. DMV sec.24016 (b) (1).
Also Ca. V.C. sec 27803.
A helmet IS REQUIRED in California. Just because the cops are ignoring it FOR NOW don't mean there ain't a law. All it takes is one A hole cop.
Big Red.

Helmets

Hey MM, The law seems to allow the bicycle type helmets as long as they are passed by ASTM or CPSC. DMV 24016 says that a helmet on a motorized rider must meet the requirements of DMV sec. 21212. Yeah, I know, it talks about helmets for kids, But thats what it says. So a regular bicycle helmet that passes ASTM or CPSC is legal for a motorized. I still want mine DOT approved. I kinda like my head the way it is.
Big Red.

you must be legal because

Hey MM,
So a regular bicycle helmet that passes ASTM or CPSC is legal for a motorized. I still want mine DOT approved. I kinda like my head the way it is.
Big Red.

that is interesting Big Red
I'am plenty happy with my lightweight bike helmet
and it figures that I have not been stopped
since I got my drivers license back a few years ago now
yes
I bought the motorized bicycle because I was grounded
(bad) Mountainman

note
now
good for me but I'am not preaching to anyone else
I have not had a drink in over 4 years
not a bunch of smoke up my tailpipe either
if you know what I mean

I should also know better requiring a good strong helmet
riding a 500cc Yamaha thumper in the dirt years ago
with NO helmet
went over the handlebars and tore off part of my forhead
still scared much -- 22 years later now I think

only had one real cop show much interest in my MB
and he was a motor cycle cop
((known to be the worse))
had my MB in the bed of my pickup
he pulled up next to me
said"hey that THING looks cool"
"and you must be legal because you even have a license plate"

MM​

Last edited:
Plates?

Yeah, I know. Yer supposed to have a plate and a M-2. And from what I've heard ya can't take the M-2 test on the motorized. It's gotta be a REAL bike. Anyway, thats what I heard, Not that I know fershure. I cant find anywhere on the DMV site about this. Something about insurance I think.
But the cops around here so far only ask for I.D. No plate, No M-2. Only that you're wearing a helmet. They WILL stop you for no helmet.
And I don't REALLY drink either. Once or twice a year I'll have a few, but NEVER if I'm gonna ride (or drive.)
Big Red.

may as well -- do as you wish

may as well
get this out there
just in case anyone with a China 2 stroke
is thinking about getting a Ca license plate
you will need to lie
one of the questions asked is
does the motorized bicycle have an auto tranny
the answer must be yes
in order to be a fully legal motorized bicycle
not telling anyone to fib