California Call To Arms For A Fastbike Law.

Safety wise, the cycle would have to be up to snuff, I can't picture some of the low end crap bikes being stable at speed. I agree that bicycle wheels aren't designed for sustained high speed use. Age and fatigue [ the bike ] would add to these concerns. I also wish motor bikes were allowed on bike paths. Here in Worcester MA we've got a beautiful bike path, seldom used, complete with bridges, and terrific views of the highways. I think that a new class of High Speed, Green Friendly, Cycles needs to be created. Hey Motorcycle Manufacturers ! Why don't you take some action, and re-introduce some high quality, small displacement, Green Friendly, Bikes ?

Yes, one dude can change America's laws Charles Brown ... Took on AT T and won ! Your chance of success would greatly improve if a manufacturer was on your side, as they * should * be.

If you want to go faster go Motorcycle or beef up your ebike like my etrike, it's a safety thing, look at your head stock bearings, a bicycle going over 30 MPH is looking for falling apart, but on the other side I will agree to 30MPH, maybe? This is beefed up, I am now putting a Honda 50XRcc in it.
Trikester & Elct. Motor.jpg

V35

2 months late, but read your comment. It would be SO great to have manufactured bikes, per your description. We all know the tech is out there, and manufactured products would be standardized, safer, more durable, quieter, and more economical over the vehicle life. I built my bike from the bike up - no kit. I'm proud of it, but I know that the bike I was striving for, if professionally manufactured at scale, would be better in every way.

Slickdude, gotta take issue with your "electric bike produce zero emissions".That's a myth/corporate lie, unless you charge your batts with your own solar cells they are less efficient and pollute the same as gas, not as efficient as diesel, and no where near natural gas.
According to a comprehensive engineering study published in the February 2013 Journal of Industrial Ecology, greenhouse gas emissions for an EV’s full life cycle — from production through road use — are not much greener than a comparable gas-powered auto, and no more planet-friendly than a diesel car. Indeed, when you factor in the toxicity of materials used in battery production, it’s hard to make the case that EVs are a very green alternative.

“Almost half of an EV’s life cycle global-warming potential is associated with its production,” concluded a study group from the Department of Energy and Process Engineering at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology. “We estimate the GWP from EV production (to be) roughly twice (that) with gas-engine production.”

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00532.x/full

couldnt agree more whole heartedly... not just the chemicals in the batteries, but the resources used in refining, transporting, developing, disposing of.

run your own solar panels? same deal. resources, they dont just grow on trees. silicon must be cleaned, purified, "doped" with the right trace elements, crystalised, cut, mounted, stored, transported.... as far as im aware, a panel still requires more energy to PRODUCE than it will produce itself in its working lifespan. these flourescent energy saving globes? oh, yes, they use a third of the power! but to make them...theres a plastic case. the molds, the machines to make the molds, the plastic, the internal circutry, the chemicals that are dug up and refined, the designers, the emloyees, and the transport they require getting to work and back home again. the equipment to bend the glass, coat it with phosphorus or some other flourescent material... yes, far more efficient than a simple glass bulb with a small piece of tungsten. edison made em at "home", so did tesla. so did the man behind telefunken. etc etc. a normal incandescent bulb is well within the scope of an intelligent person to make.

same token, the standard incandescent bulb has been banned here (well, most of em...they ignored the small fridge lights, and car lights, though theyre moving towards LED more and more as that technology improves). why is this issue raised? well, the policy was instigated by the greens party. id call myself a greenie, but i dont vote for the greens.

how do i hatch chickens in my incubator, if i cant get the globes it uses for heating it? apparently, raising chickens is not a green thing to do... greens party...bunch of r.m.williams wearing country boy wannabe city slickers with bad backs from having their heads stuck too far up their rectum...

its all a conspiracy :)

yet. a solar powered air conditioner operating on daltons law, which doesnt require any energy input other than the sun, has no more exotic materials than water, ammonia and steel tubing, is technically "illegal" if installed. (all very easy resources to obtain)

i know i havent gotten a government rebate on my small solar setup. as i dont use solar panels, its a big no no! as it doesnt have any standards applicable to the system, it doesnt meet "australian safety standards"

the dutch, long known for their love of windpower, have developed a small vertical axis turbine generator that can supply enough power for a standard house all day every day. very very very small.ie, about 2 feet in diameter, 3 feet tall...yet these giant "pinwheel" wind turbines, that need advanced control circuitry and wiring, that cost more to service than they save in power production... they seem to be the chosen method across how many countries? no wonder the dutch are arrogant :)

batteries are a joke. storing energy as HEAT is the only way. dont need anything more fancy than an insulated tank full of salt... the trick is harnessing that energy. use peltier modules, use steam, use stirling engines. it has been done before. but dont expect to see the system used anytime soon commercially.

the russians spent a lot of time, and still do, researching vacuum technology. its said that the vacuum in a standard lightbulb can contain enough energy to boil the oceans. dont ask me, i dont get it either! but all matter is simply energy, resonating, interacting. harmonics and nodes and internodes. in a vacuum, particles appear then disappear, seemingly from nowhere!

consider a wire, one end heated, the other end held in space.(vacuum) there will always be a EMF produced in said wire. as proven by lord kelvin over 100 years ago.

Tesla was 100% correct about high voltages/currents and high frequencies. im still alive after touching one end of an operating tesla coil. with 2 foot long streamers, it was an estimated 750,000 volts or so...at a few hundred kilohertz. the skin effect. passes right over you, not through you. pretty cool lighting up flouro tubes by holding them in your mouth :)

apparently einsteins lil equation that has done nothing but create misery (hiroshima, nagasaki, three mile island, chernobyl, bikini atoll, fukishima, the list grows longer daily...)is far more important than that power can be transmitted without wires at all...

not to mention how messed up our weather is getting, which in my personal opinion has something to do with the EMP and the fact that the Earth itself has many natural frequencies of oscillation, just one big spherical cavity resonator (helmholtz resonator?) who knows what the effects of some sudden huge burst of electromagnetic radiation has on our ionosphere, the van allen belt, the magnetic fields? (oh, plus the fact we remove trees from here, cover it in concrete, whilst burning all these hydrocarbons, pumping out toxic byproducts hour after hour, day after day, damming places where water hasnt been seen in a million years, etc etc etc.)
though global warming is just a natural cycle, and wont be stopped. a few years ago, as i recall, the fear was global cooling :giggle: but, we have had ice ages before, we are still in the last grips of one, and the earth has also been a lot warmer before... just, in our small short existence, we only notice whats happening in our own lifetimes.

and lastly...magnets posses some strange properties. as i recall, high school science was as involved as "how to make an electric motor" then ignored magnetism for the remainder of the school experience. they have the ability to bend the laws of thermodynamics. no wonder the physics teachers hate them.

rant rant rant.

noone cares, the worlds stuffed and nothing but the demise of the human race will fix it. hopefully the next time god or some alien starts playing silly buggers, theyll choose something that isnt so stupid as a basic working model. big mistake, god! should have used bonobo's! chimps are known for being nasty pieces of work. bonobos just root all day :) make love, not war :) (yep, way i see it, if there is a "god", we're just a genetic experiment... he.she.it has no more idea of what happens next than we do)

right. i have a bathroom/laundry floor to grind :) first i need to make a dust extraction hood.

woop woop!

oh, wait...this was about bikes, right? :giggle:?

Last edited:
Slickdude, gotta take issue with your "electric bike produce zero emissions".That's a myth/corporate lie, unless you charge your batts with your own solar cells they are less efficient and pollute the same as gas, not as efficient as diesel, and no where near natural gas.
According to a comprehensive engineering study published in the February 2013 Journal of Industrial Ecology, greenhouse gas emissions for an EV's full life cycle - from production through road use - are not much greener than a comparable gas-powered auto, and no more planet-friendly than a diesel car. Indeed, when you factor in the toxicity of materials used in battery production, it's hard to make the case that EVs are a very green alternative.

"Almost half of an EV's life cycle global-warming potential is associated with its production, concluded a study group from the Department of Energy and Process Engineering at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology. "We estimate the GWP from EV production (to be) roughly twice (that) with gas-engine production.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00532.x/full

I agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the Gremlin on the greenness or lack for e power. Don't get me wrong, I love what you are trying to do and I love electrics.

Also be careful with this:

No, the mass of a bike carrying a motor/batteries/etc will potentially do more damage than an ultralight pedal bike. F=m*a

I agree. and the maths support it.

I do care about the myth of zero emissions, gives our little gassers a bad rap.When electric can do the 80mi round trips I take for the same pennies/weight as my little smokeless tanaka I'll be an instant convert, till then I'm mixing gas.

I agree. and i'll keep mixing fuel till battery capacity and electrical current discharge and charge rates are equal to a tank of fuel on a motorized bicycle. Secondly i'll wait till an eBike motor can take 100% duty cycle, when it's down on it's knees; working it's guts out, hour after hour after hour, in the hottest of heat and the coldest of cold.

As things are, eBikes are a good 10+ years away from that development cycle, because it will need that amount of time before battery technology can equal the energy content of a tank of fuel on a motorized bicycle in the same physical size as a tank of fuel, as well as being able to recharge the battery in the same amount of time that it takes to refill the liquid fuel tank.

The reality of the situation is that i'll be mixing many more litres/gallons of fuel for many years to come.

Slickdude, I live in a nanny state. Be glad you don't.

I also live in a nanny state, and i know as an Australian citizen just how bad a nanny state can be.

Politicians screw up most things they touch.

I agree. in fact politicians screw up everything they touch because a decision or resolution to create a horse within a group having divergent interests, inevitably ends up looking like a camel.

Back