California Confusion

Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by Clutch, Sep 2, 2014.

  1. Clutch

    Clutch New Member

    hello, i just completed my first MB build and im a bit curious about the legality, its the "black Stallion" 69/80cc from kings, and what kind of registration do i need. i believe i cannot legally have a 80cc 2 stroke motorbike and just pay the 18 dollar fee and get the plate and card right? do i need a motorcycle license? is it possible to say its 49cc and get the registration or do they check up on you :confused:

  2. TomyJ

    TomyJ Member

    You only need to register the "Bicycle license" part with the city you live in, in Ca., nothing more...
    Read the Ca. DMV Handbook, new rule, have fun - I'm in Lakewood Ca.
  3. Barnfresh

    Barnfresh Member

    Hi Clutch, congratulations on completing your first build. To be full on legit you'll need to complete a 230 form and mail it in with 19 bucks and get the plate and card. And yes you will need a motorcycle endorsement on your license to ride legal. Technically your motor puts out a tad more than the current 2hp max but the new 4hp max law goes into effect Jan 2015 so you'll be good then for sure. There is nothing in Ca motorized bicycle law concerning cc's just max hp and max speed of 30mph. Keep your speed down, where a helmet, obey the laws and don't ride like an idiot and you'll be fine. Have fun and enjoy your new ride!

    Link to form:
  4. Clutch

    Clutch New Member

    thanks, but i need a cali license to ride?
  5. Barnfresh

    Barnfresh Member

  6. TomyJ

    TomyJ Member

    DMV Motorcycle Handbook 2014 Pg 2&3.jpg 2014 DMV motorcycle Handbook, M2 is for Moped dealers :>)
    Barnfresh likes this.
  7. Barnfresh

    Barnfresh Member

    Thanks TomyJ, that's the section I was referring to where you don't need a drivers license to operate a MB provided it is powered by electric only (no gas engine), it has pedals and you keep the speed to 20mph.

    CVC 406(b) A "motorized bicycle" is also a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that meets all of the following requirements:

    (1) Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts.

    (2) Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on ground level.

    (3) Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour.
  8. slickdude

    slickdude Member

    Well, trying to get the ebikes changed. I submitted my proposal and the state assmbly seems interested. City of L.A. as well. We might be able to get them going on bigger faster ebikes, stay tuned.