California laws on motorized bikes

Joker_precy

Local time
11:20 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering since i just got a motorized bike, Can i just go out and ride it right away? or do i need special licences and will i get pulled over? sorry im new to this :)

Hey guys, I was wondering since i just got a motorized bike, Can i just go out and ride it right away? or do i need special licences and will i get pulled over? sorry im new to this :)
what area of CA do you ride in?
Some areas enforce these laws and others don't.

There are lots of threads here about CA motorized bike laws..........

To be legal you need a M2 or M1 endorsement on your drivers license.

A $20 one time license plate from the DMV

DOT rated helmet.

Left side mirror, horn, lights

what area of CA do you ride in?
Some areas enforce these laws and others don't.

There are lots of threads here about CA motorized bike laws..........

To be legal you need a M2 or M1 endorsement on your drivers license.

A $20 one time license plate from the DMV

DOT rated helmet.

Left side mirror, horn, lights
Im in Orange County but ive read u dont need a licence as long as you dont go faster than 20 mph.

Im in Orange County but ive read u dont need a licence as long as you dont go faster than 20 mph.
Where did you read that?
I have been pulled over by Huntington Beach cops and know
many people who got tickets in OC and California.

What you quoted is only for ebikes which is 406 (b) CVC
ebikes don't need any kind of drivers license, be over 16 and wear
a bicycle helmet.

Gas powered motorized bikes are covered in 406 (a) need all of what
I posted above and can go 30 mph.

OC cops in Newport Beach, Costa Mesa and Huntington Beach will
ticket you.
North OC doesn't seem to care or know the motorized bike laws but
you are taking a risk of getting some hefty fines.

I'm thinking there's the statewide DMV code regarding registration & M1/M2 licensing that we all know about, but, then local authorities can also have their own specific rules regarding MB that can vary. At worst, they might not allow them in certain jurisdictions or more likely just have guidelines that must be followed (traffic/road laws & safety requirements).

California law REQUIERS at least a M-2 license, The M-1 is better, SAME test and works for motorcycles AND MB's a "special" plate, HEADlight, Tailight, brake light and mirror. 30mph top speed for gas engine. And,OF course, a helmet. All that said,I've NEVER been asked for the M-2. I had one cop check everything else but didn't ask for the license. IF you want to check out the code sections just ask and I'll post them, Or PM them to you. I think I have them ALL marked on this computer thingy. MOST cops wont bother you unless yer gettin stupid and riding CRAZY. Thats my experience anyway.
Big Red.

I've found that the easiest way to keep the police from bothering you is to obey the law. Otherwise it's, "when you play you pay."

The cops see so many of these things they dont have time to bother with it, or too lazy to bother with it unless ya flip em"off as you go by. And I REALLY dont recommend doing that. As much as I'd like to, I restrain myself.

Yeah, I registered my new GEBE mountain bike and got the paper & plate. It maxes out around 27-29mph so far... so, I'm not lying when I say max speed is 30 mph. I'll go in sometime and apply for the M1/M2 permit. Also, contacted my insurance agent and he was baffled at first... then, looked into it and got me a price quote.

Other than that, best I can do is outfit the bike properly and get an adequate looking helmet. Then, it's just riding responsibly (not going too fast) and following traffic laws... lots of ghost pedaling probably doesn't hurt either.

Yeah, I registered my new GEBE mountain bike and got the paper & plate. It maxes out around 27-29mph so far... so, I'm not lying when I say max speed is 30 mph. I'll go in sometime and apply for the M1/M2 permit. Also, contacted my insurance agent and he was baffled at first... then, looked into it and got me a price quote.

Other than that, best I can do is outfit the bike properly and get an adequate looking helmet. Then, it's just riding responsibly (not going too fast) and following traffic laws... lots of ghost pedaling probably doesn't hurt either.
Get the $20 lifetime moped plate/ ID card.
and wear a DOT helmet.

If you had a M1/M2 permit you ARE LEGAL so no need for paranoid ghost pedaling around cops.

How much was your insurance quote and through what company?
thanks

Back