California motor bikes

an extra washer inside the dropout may help keep chain off frame

Thank you again Mr. Crassius! I had to put two thick washers, and a thin nut, and it still rubs just a little. But went for about a two mile ride and the chain stayed on!!:whistle:
I guess I need a speedo to tell how far I go, and speed.
Thanks again, Ken.

Got it running reliable now. Got about three miles on it. Just breaking in easy like, a little at a time.
Took the right side clutch cover off to see about greasing the gears. I see they have a real heavy grease on the gears . I do not have any grease that heavy. I just put on some wheel bearing grease on them. What do you guys use to grease these gears?
I also put some of that soft rubber material that you put on the bottom of toolbox draws on.I used silicone to stick it to the inside of the cover to see if it would stop some to the drumming effect of the gear noise. Keep looking up! Ken.
Oh yes, I tried to polish the cover while it was off.( I am a polished bear aluminum kind of guy).
Well I have polished old British motorcycles aluminum ever since the 70s. And I have never seen aluminum like this. What junk! The more you sand and polish the worse it looks.
They must just put any thing they can pickup off the floor to put into the batch. Just to see what comes out of the fire.

Last edited:
Get a speedometer as soon as you can if you haven't done so already. This is essential to optimizing your motorbike as you need to record and observe the performance in different speed bands. Sounds like you are having some fun building and riding it. :helmet:

Yes I was thinking about a seedo. Just do not fill like spending the $15 or $20 for one and then it won't work because of the electrics of the engine. Thanks.
Keep looking up! Ken.

Yes I was thinking about a seedo. Just do not fill like spending the $15 or $20 for one and then it won't work because of the electrics of the engine. Thanks.
Keep looking up! Ken.

Aye aye. You can buy an electric speedometer on eBay for $2.70+ including shipping from China. I spent $5 on mine because I wanted a back light in case I ride at night. You can buy the same $2.70 speedo on eBay at Walmart for like $5-7. Buying from China is like a lottery, sometimes you get your stuff really fast other times its like 2 weeks beyond the normal. I have seen both ends of the spectrum.

The electric speedo works well and is powered by a nickel size battery, which is included. There is the old fashion gauge speedo, which look really cool but they are $15-20 and your speed might exceed the max label :devilish:

Got the bike running good now. Their Is a lot of oil getting all over the rear wheel. I was thinking about putting on a piece of 1/2" id tubeing about 6"" long to deflect the exhaust away from the rear wheel.
What do you guys think? Will it work? Or will it be to much back pressure ? Thanks, Ken:
Keep looking up!

it won't create too much back pressure.

primary gear noise is the result of a rough matching of the two gear surfaces. So if you keep it well lubed then it won't ever wear down enough to properly match. I removed the grease from mine and put on valve grinding compound to wear it down real fast. After about a week the primary gear had its edges rounded off and the gear noise was way down. Then I put heavy grease on it.

Back