California Motorized Bicycle Laws

California Motorized Bicycle Law

Getting Your CA Moped or Scooter License
If you're 16 years of age or older, and if your moped is not capable of driving faster than 20 MPH, you can ride without a license.

Pure rubbish, and NOT a CALIFORNIA LAW!

This is something found on the internet that was written by someone who mixed the licensing requirements for the old electric bike law 406(b) with those for gas powered motorized bicycles (Mopeds).

The old 406 as written was very confusing but sometimes in a good way because many times you could BS law enforcement officers into buying into it. There were even instances of people citing the old 406(b) in court and having their case dismissed.

Here is CALIFORNIA LAW for Persons Required to be Licensed, Exemptions, and Age Limits.

VEHICLE CODE - VEH
DIVISION 6. DRIVERS' LICENSES [12500 - 15325]
( Heading of Division 6 amended by Stats. 1961, Ch. 1615. )
CHAPTER 1. Issuance of Licenses, Expiration, and Renewal [12500 - 13008]
( Chapter 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )
ARTICLE 1.
( Article 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

(a) A person may not drive a motor vehicle upon a highway, unless the person then holds a valid driver’s license issued under this code, except those persons who are expressly exempted under this code.

(b) A person may not drive a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized bicycle upon a highway, unless the person then holds a valid driver’s license or endorsement issued under this code for that class, except those persons who are expressly exempted under this code, or those persons specifically authorized to operate motorized bicycles or motorized scooters with a valid driver’s license of any class, as specified in subdivision (h) of Section 12804.9.

(c) A person may not drive a motor vehicle in or upon any offstreet parking facility, unless the person then holds a valid driver’s license of the appropriate class or certification to operate the vehicle. As used in this subdivision, “offstreet parking facility” means any offstreet facility held open for use by the public for parking vehicles and includes any publicly owned facilities for offstreet parking, and privately owned facilities for offstreet parking where no fee is charged for the privilege to park and which are held open for the common public use of retail customers.

(d) A person may not drive a motor vehicle or combination of vehicles that is not of a type for which the person is licensed.

(e) A motorized scooter operated on public streets shall at all times be equipped with an engine that complies with the applicable State Air Resources Board emission requirements.

(Amended by Stats. 2007, Ch. 630, Sec. 3. Effective January 1, 2008.)

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...division=6.&title=&part=&chapter=1.&article=1.

PLEASE NOTE WHAT I POST ARE CALIFORNIA LAWS WITH LINKS TO TO THE ACTUAL CODE, NOT STUFF FOUND ON THE INTERNET THAT CANNOT BE VERIFIED.

IF ANYONE CAN LINK TO A (CURRENT) CALIFORNIA LAW STATING ANY EXEMPTION TO THE DRIVERS LICENSE REQUIREMENT FOR OPERATING A MOPED PLEASE POST IT! OTHERWISE ALL OF US CAN ONLY WISH.

Last edited:
If you're 16 years of age or older, and if your moped is not capable of driving faster than 20 MPH, you can ride without a license.
https://www.dmv.org/ca-california/other-types.php

You missed a part: and an electric motor with an output of not more than 1,000 watts.

Both of you are missing the bigger part, THE LAW HAS CHANGED!

CVC406 was Amended by Stats. 2015, Ch. 568, Sec. 2. Effective January 1, 2016!

Please quit hashing over laws that are no longer valid or don't exist.

(a) A “motorized bicycle” or “moped” is a two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, and an automatic transmission and a motor that produces less than 4 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.

(b) Every manufacturer of a motorized bicycle or moped, as defined in this section, shall provide a disclosure to buyers that advises buyers that their existing insurance policies may not provide coverage for these bicycles and that they should contact their insurance company or insurance agent to determine if coverage is provided. The disclosure shall meet both of the following requirements:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=406

Pure rubbish, and NOT a CALIFORNIA LAW!

This is something found on the internet that was written by someone who mixed the licensing requirements for the old electric bike law 406(b) with those for gas powered motorized bicycles (Mopeds).

The old 406 as written was very confusing but sometimes in a good way because many times you could BS law enforcement officers into buying into it. There were even instances of people citing the old 406(b) in court and having their case dismissed.

Here is CALIFORNIA LAW for Persons Required to be Licensed, Exemptions, and Age Limits.

VEHICLE CODE - VEH
DIVISION 6. DRIVERS' LICENSES [12500 - 15325]
( Heading of Division 6 amended by Stats. 1961, Ch. 1615. )
CHAPTER 1. Issuance of Licenses, Expiration, and Renewal [12500 - 13008]
( Chapter 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )
ARTICLE 1.
( Article 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

(a) A person may not drive a motor vehicle upon a highway, unless the person then holds a valid driver’s license issued under this code, except those persons who are expressly exempted under this code.

(b) A person may not drive a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized bicycle upon a highway, unless the person then holds a valid driver’s license or endorsement issued under this code for that class, except those persons who are expressly exempted under this code, or those persons specifically authorized to operate motorized bicycles or motorized scooters with a valid driver’s license of any class, as specified in subdivision (h) of Section 12804.9.

(c) A person may not drive a motor vehicle in or upon any offstreet parking facility, unless the person then holds a valid driver’s license of the appropriate class or certification to operate the vehicle. As used in this subdivision, “offstreet parking facility” means any offstreet facility held open for use by the public for parking vehicles and includes any publicly owned facilities for offstreet parking, and privately owned facilities for offstreet parking where no fee is charged for the privilege to park and which are held open for the common public use of retail customers.

(d) A person may not drive a motor vehicle or combination of vehicles that is not of a type for which the person is licensed.

(e) A motorized scooter operated on public streets shall at all times be equipped with an engine that complies with the applicable State Air Resources Board emission requirements.

(Amended by Stats. 2007, Ch. 630, Sec. 3. Effective January 1, 2008.)

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...division=6.&title=&part=&chapter=1.&article=1.

PLEASE NOTE WHAT I POST ARE CALIFORNIA LAWS WITH LINKS TO TO THE ACTUAL CODE, NOT STUFF FOUND ON THE INTERNET THAT CANNOT BE VERIFIED.

IF ANYONE HAS CAN LINK TO A (CURRENT) CALIFORNIA LAW STATING ANY EXEMPTION TO THE DRIVERS LICENSE REQUIREMENT FOR OPERATING A MOPED PLEASE POST IT! OTHERWISE ALL OF US CAN ONLY WISH.

Thats a government website, not just somewhere on the internet.

If you want to operate no license, establish residency in a state where no license is necessary. I have an Idaho ID, which clears me to operate my bike no problems.

Whats enforced, where I live in SoCal, is follow bicycle laws. Nobody cares about a plate or endorsement.

And as ive been saying, if you want code on no M endorsement on mopeds, you have to go in one of these directions
OUT OF STATE LICENSE/ID
DISABLED TRIKE/QUADCYCLE
LOCAL LICENSE/M PERMIT

And I learned this from some old timer in CA
PUSHER MOTORS [OLD SCHOOL MOTORIZED TRAILERS]
NO LAWS NO ENGINE LIMIT

But I'm sorry, you can't just say the DMV is wrong, if they say 20mph no license, there's a reason for it. That's a new paragraph SINCE 2016. So how about research it like anybody else.

The DMV is WRONG!

Not only can I say it with certainty I can tell you their little pamphlets and internet pages routinely get stuff wrong.

.......but hey Goat, you make sure to print out that DMV Pamplet and carry it with you so that the next time you get pulled over by a DMV Clerk you can whip it out and show her who's right!

Personally I think I'll stick to my California Vehicle Code Book and reference it when discussing law with a police officer.

CALIFORNIA MOTORIZED BICYCLE LAWS
https://motoredbikes.com/resources/california-motorized-bicycle-laws.5/

California Motorized Bicycle Definition

In California, a motorized bicycle or moped is a 2 or 3 wheeled device having:
> fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power,
> an automatic transmission,
> a motor that produces less than 4 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30mph on level ground. ¹

The license and registration requirements to ride a Motorized Bicycle on the roads in California are as follows:

License

A valid Class M2 license is required to operate a motorized bicycle. ²

Registration

A motorized bicycle needs to be registered and is required to display a license plate issued by the department. ³

References:
¹ http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=406

² http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=12804.9.

³ http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...vision=3.&title=&part=&chapter=1.&article=8.1.

Last edited:
Wow.. First of all barnfresh, you are not a law writer. You do not have any stance obviously in what is or is not law, you are just quoting (like everyone else here, basically) what excerpts mean anything to you. You are obviously putting roots in a state with too many laws, which is why there is so so much conflict between what is (and not) enforced and the laws that say what should be enforced. I don't know about California code specifically but I know that plenty of states require that a person engaging in day to day life primarily in said state then they are required to register as citizens of said state. Goaty is probably (by my assumption) breaking California law by purposely refusing to change his place of residency.

If he were to be thoroughly pursued by a court as to his legitimacy as an Idahoian then he would very likely be found guilty of being a Californian. He would be subject to the appropriate fines but he could decide not to pay them and just keep his way of life up. If he gets caught again then he could be stuck in prison for a short term. Either way eventually his ID will expire and he will have to renew it somehow. He can travel to Idaho on his bike and lie to the government there or he can fold an register properly.

Why do you care so badly about people who are willing to f*** up their lives? Honestly you should understand that you can either live a rather crappy temporary life that involves a lot of cheating, double checking laws on yellowing paper, and lying just get by or you can live a bit more smoothly by accepting circumstances and adapting to your environment or of course simply moving away from it to find one that better suites your needs.

Those north Korean army defectors get it, I get it, so do the manufacturers of the world, why don't you?

Wow.. First of all barnfresh, you are not a law writer. You do not have any stance obviously in what is or is not law, you are just quoting (like everyone else here, basically) what excerpts mean anything to you.
You are 100% correct I am not a law writer, nor have I ever claimed to be. I simply post here when I learn of changes or additions to the California Vehicle Code that pertain to our motorized bicycles Here in California.

I quote the codes just as they are written and provide links to where they can be found. Real world stuff, FACTS, not the spew that you find posted here from those living in fantasy land.

You are obviously putting roots in a state with too many laws, which is why there is so so much conflict between what is (and not) enforced and the laws that say what should be enforced.
I could care less what laws are enforced or should be enforced. I do however like to know what the laws are and I enjoy passing that knowledge on to others that may also like to know, especially when there are changes.

I don't know about California code specifically but I know that plenty of states require that a person engaging in day to day life primarily in said state then they are required to register as citizens of said state. Goaty is probably (by my assumption) breaking California law by purposely refusing to change his place of residency.
That's nice maybe you guys can start another thread "California Motorized Bicycle Laws and How to Circumvent them"

Why do you care so badly about people who are willing to f**k up their lives?
Honestly I don't give a rats arse, go ahead knock yourself out.

Honestly you should understand that you can either live a rather crappy temporary life that involves a lot of cheating, double checking laws on yellowing paper, and lying just get by or you can live a bit more smoothly by accepting circumstances and adapting to your environment or of course simply moving away from it to find one that better suites your needs.
WoW thanks for that life lesson, at 61 years old I would have never figured that one out on my own, hahaha! BTW I'm living a wonderful life riding my gas and electric bikes pretty much wherever I want without having to look over my shoulder, hehehe.

Those north Korean army defectors get it, I get it, so do the manufacturers of the world, why don't you?
Huh, get what?, that Trump is going to turn their country into a giant fried rice bowl before he's out of office.

Reason for edit: I was reminded that the term glass parking lot only applies to nuking desert regions that are predominantly sand.

***************** CALIFORNIA MOTORIZED BICYCLE LAWS ****************
https://motoredbikes.com/resources/california-motorized-bicycle-laws.5/

California Motorized Bicycle Definition

In California, a motorized bicycle or moped is a 2 or 3 wheeled device having:
> fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power,
> an automatic transmission,
> a motor that produces less than 4 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30mph on level ground. ¹

The license and registration requirements to ride a Motorized Bicycle on the roads in California are as follows:

License

A valid Class M2 license is required to operate a motorized bicycle. ²

Registration

A motorized bicycle needs to be registered and is required to display a license plate issued by the department. ³

References:
¹ http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=406
² http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=12804.9.
³ http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...vision=3.&title=&part=&chapter=1.&article=8.1.

Last edited:
Actually since the horspower increase in 2015 the information quoted above by alec changed again in 2016.

The 406(b) section regulating 20 mph 1000 watt electric powered Motorized Bicycles has been abolished.
Gone completely, no more.

Instead "Electric Bicycles" or eBikes have their own section in the vehicle code which is defined in CVC 312.5

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB1096

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billCompareClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB1096

Last edited:
Back