California Motorized Bicycle Laws

California Motorized Bicycle Law

If the DMV website is wrong, I can't see how they can really enforce any laws that are different than those stated on the official CA Department of Motor Vehicles government website. If I ever got a ticket I would go to court and load up the website on my laptop to use as evidence and then ask the judge for a dismissal.

If the DMV website is wrong, I can't see how they can really enforce any laws that are different than those stated on the official CA Department of Motor Vehicles government website. If I ever got a ticket I would go to court and load up the website on my laptop to use as evidence and then ask the judge for a dismissal.

What exactly are you referring to?

Last edited:
Both DMV.CA.GOV (official State of California) and DMV.ORG (private Fake News) organizations list the OLD 2 Horsepower and the OLD now defunct CVC 406(b) law on their respective websites.

Last edited:
I see DMV.ORG changed the old license exemption for 20mph motorized bikes that the goat referenced previously in this thread.

They also updated the CVC 406 (a) section however they are still listing the now defunct 406(b) on their page, so they almost have it right.

Makes you wonder if they have someone that monitors these forums?

I see DMV.ORG changed the old license exemption for 20mph motorized bikes that the goat referenced previously in this thread.

They also updated the CVC 406 (a) section however they are still listing the now defunct 406(b) on their page, so they almost have it right.

Makes you wonder if they have someone that monitors these forums?
They can't even pay someone to monitor their own website, if they did they'd of fixed it lol, if they had someone watching pointing out their flaws then they'd definitely of fixed it!

so I am confused. some say I need a license to ride a bike with a motor and some say I dont. the reason I am asking is because of two DUI's my license is suspended. I got this bike with the impression that I dont need a license. so what is the law? can I ride it to work or not? thank you

so I am confused. some say I need a license to ride a bike with a motor and some say I dont. the reason I am asking is because of two DUI's my license is suspended. I got this bike with the impression that I dont need a license. so what is the law? can I ride it to work or not? thank you

In California you need a valid drivers license with m1 or m2 endorsement to legally operate a motorized bicycle that is powered by an internal combustioned engine.

You are however not required to have a valid drivers license to operate an electric bicycle.

Barnfresh is correct, having said that, I still haven't gotten my M2 and I've been riding for 8 years. I did get the license plate and I have never been stopped. You can get a moped license plate without having a drivers license. My town is very bicycle friendly, there are tons of electric and gas bicycles here most without license plates and the cops either don't know the law or just don't seem to care, I'm definitely going to go pass the test and get it this month though.

You need to start with telling someone where you come from before asking for advice in that realm. If you have a dui (let alone 2) you're an ass and that can't be helped with one of these bikes.

Electric would obviously be the best route to go, however you can still get charged with a dui while riding a bicycle, even a lawn mower would be a suitable device for that.

My opinion is that everyone has the right to f*** themselves up, but my advice is really try not to, life is ridiculously easier when you can just get into a truck and take care of business that a bicycle just isn't suitable for. Crazy Dan has a nice avatar, I know if I put that many bricks on my bike it would sit a couple inches lower (permanently,) can't say for sure why he has to do that but he's probably in one of those countries that suck major ass.. He might have a dui too, though. Either way I'd never do it because I didn't f*** myself over to the point where I had to, nor will I ever. Load them babies up in even a small sedan and not deal with that s**t.

This is your day on DUI:
33994356_607745982930068_1832663232397967360_n.jpg

This is my day without DUI:
db1766-heavy-brick-load.jpg

It might be a mess but at least I don't have to walk back and forth with a s**t ton of bricks 4 or 5 dozen times!

Last edited:
I built my own bicycle with a 4 stroke 49cc motor on it. as I was afraid I wasn't complying with the California laws when riding it, I stopped with my motorized bicycle, and talked with police officers on 2 different occasions.

I showed them my motorized bicycle and asked them if there was anything I needed to be able to operate it on the streets legally. both times the officers told me no. I didn't need any type of registration or license.

In addition to those times, I have passed police that are in their cars many times and wave to them as I go past them. I have never been stopped or pulled over by one, they just smile as i go by.

I have been riding my motorized bicycle for quite a while now. I have logged over 1,000 miles on it riding it on the street. since I live in Orange County, when I ride, there are times when I hit some pretty heavy congestion. I also have to change lanes in order to stay out of the lanes entering and exiting the freeway. I use my hand to signal the other drivers who have always been courteous of me and treat me like another vehicle on the street.

I enjoy riding it so much that I ride it to and from work which takes me into the wee hours of the morning. I have also passed police at 3am in the morning and have not had a single problem with them.

As I go through 4 different cities on my way home and have encountered police in all those cities, I can safely say that I am not required to do anything other than ride my motorized bicycle. so I dont know why people are saying motorized bicycles need to have a special plate and or license. I have attached a picture of my motorized bicycle so you can see what I have been talking about.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 83
Back