California Motorized Bicycle Laws

California Motorized Bicycle Law

That's it! I'm tagging up! I just wonder if you buy your bike piece by piece on E-bay, like I did. Do the numbers have to match? My other bike I bought from a guy riding it in a 4th of July parade. Paid cash, didn't even get a bill of sale. Man! I love the 4th! It's my birthday!

lol nice Og_Whizzerdude. you should be able to tag it like the rest of use who put it together but being a whizzer u might be able to get motorcycle tags for it rather then moped tags which restricts us to 30 mph when a cop is around at-least lol my bike at the moment will do about 40 mph according to my friends car at-least

GinOkami84, this plate/tag could be a great deal, even for non Californians. They are the real deal. Did you have to send off any documentation for your bike to get them? My son lives in Cal, and I might have him get me one and trans ship. They completely get past all of the circular logic some states get into, what with buying junk MOPEDS for VIN numbers and all. For someone wanting to camp in several states and not get hassled, they might be just the thing. What do you think?

Separately, BIG RED, it might have been you approving of the Cal requirements. Me too. Helmet, small motorcycle license - common sense. The young GOPEDDERS need to be off the streets and sidewalks. Those brains are still too green for the required judgment and maturity. MB's are just the thing for urban congestion, and area pleasure riding, and all it takes is one state legislator getting run into by an 8 year old (or head up the *** 14 year old) kid to screw it up for all.

yea bigoilbob it should work for u all u have to do is print reg230 from the ca dmv web site if you google the reg you will find it easy. and etch a number on the engine and if your frame doeskin have one then etch one on your bike i etched one on the neck tube like a motorcycle instead of on the crank tube any vin will do but if you want to transfer the registration then u might want to make one that is the standard motorcycle length. after you do that then all you have to do is send it off the address is on the form reg230 send it with a money order for 19bucks and wait for your plate

So was I, Whizzerdude, only 10 and (gloriously) poorly supervised. Difference is, you had your s**t together, and didn't act like a fool. I was more typical - and on hindsight, **** lucky.

Thx GinOkami84. Is the number you etched on your bike the number you got back from the DMV? Probably so, just checking. I'm doin' this!

Thx both;

Bob D.

You can make your own engine number. As I recall I used my SSN. That doesn't come back printed on your registration paper. And most bikes have a serial number stamped under the crank set. THATS the one that appears on your paper. So when you show the reg. paper to a cop all he's gonna see is the serial number of the bike frame.
I tried to take a pic of my registration to show everybody, but I have a REALLY CRAPPY camera. Closeups don't agree with it.
AND,
CVC 407.5 An operator of a motorized scooter must be at least 16 years old, possess a valid drivers license or instruction permit, and wear a helmet.
Big Red.

GinOkami84, this plate/tag could be a great deal, even for non Californians. They are the real deal. Did you have to send off any documentation for your bike to get them? My son lives in Cal, and I might have him get me one and trans ship. They completely get past all of the circular logic some states get into, what with buying junk MOPEDS for VIN numbers and all. For someone wanting to camp in several states and not get hassled, they might be just the thing. What do you think?

Separately, BIG RED, it might have been you approving of the Cal requirements. Me too. Helmet, small motorcycle license - common sense. The young GOPEDDERS need to be off the streets and sidewalks. Those brains are still too green for the required judgment and maturity. MB's are just the thing for urban congestion, and area pleasure riding, and all it takes is one state legislator getting run into by an 8 year old (or head up the *** 14 year old) kid to screw it up for all.

Hey Bob, I don't remember if it was this site or the other one, But we were talking about getting a bike registered in California then transfering it to another state. I believe Federal law requires each state to honor, and re-register to that state, any other state registered vehicle. And 8 year olds are NOT allowed on scooters. Ya gotta be 16 in California.
Big Red.

I used to do my early morning LA Times paper route on my first Whizzer. I was 14. I had coffee and donuts with the cops at the donut shop all the time. They never said anything negative about me or the bike. It was very loud too. I had to push start it and then hop on. No peddles on that one. My brother in law made a megaphone exhaust pipe for it. It would wake the dead!

Back