California Motorized Bicycle Laws

California Motorized Bicycle Law

When riding to the lake park and back, I usually use the sidewalks as no bike lanes on the road I use. The cops seem fine as long as you are going at a slow safe rate and on the sidewalks that is just common sense. When I come to pedestrians on the sidewalk, I just pull over until they passed. Most usually wave smile and say thanks, so it is usually a great thing there, no issues yet. Local homeowners have no qualms with an ebike pedaled past their front yards. With auto drivers no issues as of yet, though I feel much safer just pedaling if I can on the sidewalks, too many people texting and on cell phones (STILL) these days and they only have to veer right one time to make a ebiker go curtains.

On the lake bike path, I usually average about 9mph on my ezip. Where I open it up is on the dirt trail by the LA River which is off the path and streets of course. The Ezip when new cruised around 19mph but now with a year old sla battery it gets about 14 to 16mph which varies.

Yeah Big Red I hear you guys. But I just kept a cool head ignored him, let him pass. I have found that it is best to let trouble move on where possible...keeps my riding life simpler.

I am in talks with papamotors on whether my ezip forks can handle the 1000 watt 48 volt system. If not, then I'll probably goto a 36volt 500 watt front drive setup which then is legal with no issues. If I got the 36 volt route then definitely I'll go the 20ah battery instead of the 15ah battery.

I know zip about ebikes but my ears are open. I do know about Amp/Hours tho. My cordless drill had a 2.5 Ah battery. It was dead everytime I went to use it. I bought a new one with a 3 Ah battery. I can't seem to kill it. A little means alot in drill batteries for sure

Has anyone ever taken the skills test on an MB? You have to do that to get the M2 right?

You can't take the test on your MB for a couple reasons. It's not DOT approved in any way and there's no insurance on it. ya gotta take it on a motorcycle with insurance. So ya might as well just get yer M-1 and it's good for both.
Big Red.

Thanks Big Red!
I was about to post a question on this subject. Now I have the answer. I don't have a motorcycle anymore. Maybe I could rent one for the test?

Thanks Big Red!
I was about to post a question on this subject. Now I have the answer. I don't have a motorcycle anymore. Maybe I could rent one for the test?

Hey og, Personally, I've never had a M-anything and I've been riding since I was 10. Renting a bike sounds like one solution. The best is if you have a friend with a motorcycle. I guess I'll get my motorcycle endorsment right after I get my first ticket for it.
Big Red.

I built my first Whizzer when I was 14. No license on that bike or me. Now I'm 67 and still roll'in with the same program. They will never take me alive!

Well Og, You got a few years on me but we're pretty much runnin the same program. I did get a plate for one of my bikes(first one ever,) just cause I think it looks cool. Heck, it had everything else on it so why not. The cops don't even look at me twice on that bike and I'm running almost a straight pipe. It's loud but it looks like it belongs on the street. I get stopped all the time on my tadpole though. It kinda looks like a go cart. But no M-2,(never had one,) No plate, NOTHIN on that one. still no tickets so far though. I think I may just be lucky.
Big Red.

Hey OG, just get a strong bike with really strong forks put a papamotors kit on it and have fun. Forego the cheap currie and hilltopper products. They are entry level only. If you wanna ride a powerful bike use pedal assist on a papamotors. If they see you pedaling it shouldn't be an issue even at 30 mph ;) as I see the ten speed guys all the time riding fast with their pointy helmets.

lol OG i knew you would say that electric can not compare to a whizzer but electric does do good in some areas but for us folk in smaller towns gas is the way to go don't need to charge up

Back