California Motorized Bicycle Laws

California Motorized Bicycle Law

Engine mods by Quenton. I don't think you can break it or catch it. I need to put it back together. It's riding time here now.

lol agreed i am hoping to hear from Quenton soon to see if he has a cylinder i could get off of him as im not to spiffy about buying the ebay one lol if i have to i will upgrade as per Quenton's recommendations. lol im not looking to beet you hot rod but would like to hit 45 to 50 on mine. weather is great here just cant run with a cracked head lol

keep the shiny side up.

Uh I have ridden Motorcycles and I know that breeze in the face. I have also in the past owned quads, dirtbikes. While gas may seem the way to go, it is different riding electric. Whether it's an ebike or gbike I suppose matters little except for ones needs. In my case just locally. So my needs are mainly range over speed and torque but not gas range as I don't need it that far. I have also been able to ride a very fast ebike and it was quite exhilerating, very quiet compared to my older ezip and it took off quite rapidly and maintained it. I found that over 20 or so, you start hitting serious windage though. Without a faring perhaps, I think 20 is fine enough, maybe even down to the 15 limit on many ebikes works out okay too. The only time you might need more speed is if you have to go a long distance in a short time, then it's best to use a regular motorcycle or car.

California says 20mph for electrics, 30mph for gas. Thats why I don't even try to put a PG&E bike together. I have the need for speed. But I think we're starting to get a little off topic here. If one of ya'all want to start a new thread, GAS Vs. ELECTRIC, I think it would be a very cool and popular thread. I kinda see this thread as a place for the noob's to go through to get the skinny on California Motorbike Laws. BUT, I'm not a mod. just saying.
Big Red.

So yes electrics are limited to 20 mph under 406b but 30 mph is ok per 406a provided you remove the pedals? I guess you could interpret it that way, or you can interpret it as pedals are not "required" on your "two-wheeled or three-wheeled device" if that device is powered solely by electric (which would make pedals optional). 406.*(a) A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, and an automatic transmission and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.

So yes electrics are limited to 20 mph under 406b but 30 mph is ok per 406a provided you remove the pedals? I guess you could interpret it that way, or you can interpret it as pedals are not "required" on your "two-wheeled or three-wheeled device" if that device is powered solely by electric (which would make pedals optional). 406.*(a) A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, and an automatic transmission and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.

Yep, That's EXACTLY how it reads. So take the pedals off yer electric bike, put on footpegs and yer allowed 30mph under 406 (a). The only problem I see is if ya run yer battery down and ya gotta pedal yer A** home.
Big Red.

Yea I guess that pedaling home would be a problem since you took the pedals off! Haha... I dunno though I'm interpreting it it the same way alec did as outlined in the opening post of this thread "An electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion". As long as you get a "motorized bicycle" or "moped" license plate an electric should be legal up to 30mph on flat ground with pedals being optional. Anyone else here interpret it this way?

Yea I guess that pedaling home would be a problem since you took the pedals off! Haha... I dunno though I'm interpreting it it the same way alec did as outlined in the opening post of this thread "An electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion". As long as you get a "motorized bicycle" or "moped" license plate an electric should be legal up to 30mph on flat ground with pedals being optional. Anyone else here interpret it this way?

:poop:, Thats right. Under 406 (a) yer supposed to have a plate and a M-2. I guess there's a price to pay for speed. But I don't think pedals are optional for the 30mph thing. If ya got em I'm pretty sure you're limited to 20mph. In sec. (a) it only mentions "or having NO pedals if powered solely by electrical energy" That's what it say's anyway. So 20mph with pedals, 30mph without pedals.
Big Red.

Last edited:
Yes speed cost money but is $19 too much to pay for 10 more mph? I was surprised to find out the DMV also shares my interpretation that pedals are optional. Below is right out of the 2012 California Motorcycle Handbook.

Motorized Bicycles
There are two definitions for motorized bicycles (mopeds). A motorized bicycle is:

• A two- or three-wheeled device, capableofnomorethan30mphon level ground, and equipped with:
◦ Fully operative pedals for human propulsion.
◦ A motor producing less than two gross brake horsepower and an automatic transmission.
◦ An electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion. (CVC Sec.406(a))

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/mcycle_htm/operation.htm?lang=en#motorized

Now of course this is just the DMV’s definition and not the actual vehicle code as written, so a law enforcement officer or judge may see it differently. However with the DMV handing this information out in booklet form as well as posting it on their website, any person receiving a ticket for having pedals on their plated 30mph electric should be able to sway the DA or convince a jury to see things their way.

I don’t feel the intent of CA law is to limit electrics to 20mph because of pedals, rather there are 2 different types of Electric Bikes as defined in CVC 406.

(A) The 30 mph limit “moped type” (pedals optional) which is the where the electric custom builders would squeeze in, same as most gasser folks, to get the $19 license plate.

(B) The 20 mph limit “e-bike type” (pedals mandatory) which all the manufactures are jumping on because they are easier to market due to the relaxed requirements for operation.

Barnfresh

Last edited by a moderator:
Back