Call to Arms all Australians Concerning MB Regulation

Has there been an outbreak of MB caused accidents or pedestrian deaths?
1 or 2 isolated incindences based on rider stooopidity
No pedestrian deaths as far as I know.
But there is some nutcase non-bike-riders on bike paths making a pest of themselves.

Another avenue of protest is to the competitive nature down under....when I got back from those long 2006 trips, Denis at GEBE said some Aussies wanted to challenge us to a coast to coast run (still waiting for the sweepstakes to get put on the table !!).

So, you should put in that research and development angle, Oz getting ready to pound the rest of the world in some 2012 Olympic timed RollerBall-like challenge.

Man I had plans to eventually bike hike around Australia one day using the motor to help get my fat *** and camp gear up hills.

I hope something can put stops to this stuff.

Same here, I wanted to go from Newcastle, across the Nullabour, and back !

Response to NSW Centre for Road Safety discussion paper

1 or 2 isolated incindences based on rider stooopidity
No pedestrian deaths as far as I know.
But there is some nutcase non-bike-riders on bike paths making a pest of themselves.
Gday Bolts & everyone. I've been busy sorting out down here in Hobart. The 'show stopper' as far as Hobart is concerned is that the RTA proposal literally DOES NOT WORK down here.

I've established an information email. Send me a PM and I'll put you on the mailout.

Note that the RTA discussion paper that is being discussed is not actually a public document. There is no mechanism to take public submissions. I suggested to Irish John that he needed to engage anyone with political clout, say someone connected with the local Council who may favour a broader examination than that contained in the RTA paper. Unfortunately, there is no established MB association in Australia, which is understandable because MBs are effectively banned from use on public roads.

This is the text of my next email to go out shortly:

Response to NSW Centre for Road Safety discussion paper released May 2009 "Proposal for a new AB vehicle definition"

Gday Folks

Timetable for Response

2 June, 5:30pm: Briefing Session at New Sydney Hotel, Bathurst Street,. This will be half hour.

14 June: Draft response prepared by PAPC Advocacy Committee on RTA discussion paper publicly available for comment

19 June, 7:30pm:
Song & lyric writing competition "Where are all the bicycles, long time pedalling?" at the Folk Night, Brookfield Vineyard, Channel Highway, Margate,.

23 June, 7:00pm: June: Forum (details to be advised)

30 June: Deadline for submissions. The PAPC Advocacy submission will seek to gain endorsement in principle to the thrust of its submission from those representing major stakeholders such as cycling, sustainability and local government.

Some comments on why this response on PAPCs is important.

The RTA paper sets out to establish a national strategy covering all power-assisted pedal cycles. Yet, its analysis and recommendations are constrained by a false premise, namely that there is no public benefit in the use of pedal power in conjunction with a more powerful power source than that equivalent to average human performance. Accordingly, it sets out to close the door on any such examination

The covering letter that accompanied the issue of the discussion paper includes this comment:

..., it is anticipated that the recommended definition will effectively reassert, but more clearly state, the current definition of PAPC - don't forget, the current definition states that a PAPC is a form of pedal cycle, which is a vehicle designed to be propelled through a mechanism solely by human power - although the power provided by the auxiliary motor will increase. This will have the additional benefit of minimising any change to the ADRs....

These comments has been extracted from the RTA paper:

.....To help progress the paper into a formal strategy, the New South Wales Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA) convened a workshop on 28 July 2008 in Sydney. Representatives from Australian Jurisdictions, bicycle supply interests, Australia Post and the NSW Police attended the workshop. Following that workshop there was an agreement that there needs to be a revised standard and description of the characteristics of a power-assisted pedal cycle that is exempt from registration without creating a new category of vehicle. .... This paper discusses the proposed characteristics for PAPCs to develop a new definition that will be included in the Australian Design Rules (ADR) .....The analyses carried out in this paper assume that PAPCs will continue to be considered as a form of pedal cycle in all Jurisdictions' Road Rules. Discussions regarding possible registration or licensing of PAPCs are not further examined......

And further:

... this Paper is looking specifically at PAPC and is not investigating the practicality of power-assisted cycles without pedals. These vehicles are currently considered as mopeds, however Jurisdictions may wish to develop a new category for powered assisted cycles without pedals. ...

In summary, there is no doubt that the RTA paper sets out to establish a strategy for the national regulation of all power-assisted pedal cycles. Accordingly, the range of stakeholders is wide reaching indeed.

--
Power-assisted Pedal Cycle Advocacy

Sustainable Cycling Principle
Pedal if possible, power-assist if practical

Power-assisted pedal cycles (MABs) forum coming up in Hobart

The regulations affecting MABs in Australia are in the melting pot.

If there are any Tasmanians on MBC, drop me a line.

For more info, click here

Here in Tassie, Saturday night.

"July 19, 2009 09:33am

A CYCLIST has died after colliding with a van and being thrown into the path of several other vehicles in the state's north.

The man was riding a motorised bicycle when he collided with a Toyota Hi-Ace van on the Bass Highway in East Devonport at 7.25pm last night.

Police say the cyclist was travelling east in the west-bound lanes of the highway when the collision occurred.

"As a result of the collision, the rider was thrown from the bicycle and struck by several other passing vehicles," Constable Colin Willcox said.

The cyclist has yet to be identified.

Police have questioned the driver of the van, a 32-year-old Deloraine man, and are calling for witnesses to come forward."

This will be the bikes fault, somehow, I'd bet. :mad:

Travelling east on a west bound lane on the Bass highway its the stupid bloody cyclists fault.

As an update - here in Newcastle they have taken to seizure of motorised bikes / skateboards - no charges laid, but a very stern warning that if caught again, they will press charges of driving an unregistered vehicle, an uninsured vehicle, and riding without a license. Ouch.

Apparently a local was followed by two (!) police cars who pulled him over and confiscated his ride - he was told that if he wanted it back that he had to prove that it was under 200W IN COURT and if it was found to be over he would be charged. He was not riding wearing a helmet.

I'm trying to find out more, but it seems that the local police have taken a dislike to the petrol bikes, someone on a (legal) sachs I met riding around the same area said he had been hassled as well. I've been pulled over and warned only to ride off-road, and not to be seen again.

This is not looking good at the moment. The pedal for assistance ruling thats looking to come in kinda sucks as well.

Under 200 Watts

I've got a "legal" Sachs, but I'm expecting the Guberment here to ban petrol assist bikes, then I will be a naughty boy and ride anyway. This unfortunate fatality will give them the excuse they've been looking for. Ultimately, we will all be wrapped in cotton wool, propped up in front of the TV, credit card details at the ready, to consume, consume, consume. Just like chooks in a cage; thats where the world (at least this end of it) is heading.

Last edited:
I've got a "legal" Sachs, but I'm expecting the Guberment here to ban petrol assist bikes, then I will be a naughty boy and ride anyway. This unfortunate fatality will give them the excuse they've been looking for. Ultimately, we will all be wrapped in cotton wool, propped up in front of the TV, credit card details at the ready, to consume, consume, consume. Just like chooks in a cage; thats where the world (at least this end of it) is heading.
Does your Sachs have a compliance plate to say it's <200 watts....if not i'de still ride it & have any paperwork at the ready?

The subtext in all of this legislation still is - its too hard to restrict an internal combustion engine to 200W, its even harder to tell its power rating so we will ban all internal combustion engines until we can prove their power rating.

QLD did it, there is a good chance that others will follow suit.

RTA is shirty that anyone can have a vehicle that is practical and doesn't require registration ~ how dare someone get somewhere on a road without paying the RTA and filling government coffers. Goodness me!

Back