Called some insurance folks.

Local time
3:01 AM
My thought was, if I even wanted MB liability insurance,
Who could even give it to me for an MB in California?
I wanted to find out how much it would be, so I made some calls.

I contacted a few insurance companies about my motorized bicycle
the other day, and not one said they would insure it.
It was an issue with it not being in their system.

It's pretty funny that they want you to get liability insurance as a "moped"
but the insurance companies won't even give it to you.

Anybody have their MB insured?

Can't get it. I tried as well for my Whizzer, and for my 1905 Mead Whizzer.
It's not listed in their system and was told to try the 'specialty' companies that insure kustom rods and motorcycles. Yeah, right! They cover hundred grand trailer queens not my little bikes. I didn't try, who knows maybe they would (for way more money than I'm willing to spend on insurance) cover our little guys.
I have Aflack...

I was able to get both liability and injury insurance on my Whizzer. But that vehicle came with a VIN number and that type of bike was in Progressive's database.

My household contents insurance covers my MB's for fire/theft etc(not injury).....covers ANY MB up to a capacity of 125cc.
Hope i don't ever have to test them out on it though.

I realize these posts are relatively are history now i just wish to comment on the fact of these guys inquiring in Calif about insurance costs, What the Heck Are You Thinking, did you ever hear, leave sleeping dogs lie. Keep up your semi-intelligent thoughts and we will all have the joys of paying liability insurance because of your silly notion that the insurance companies have no such coverage for my silly little gas powered bike. Keep up the wonderful inquires with a little bit more of your wise guy comments you may be left with the only option to have all the states to comply with all the specifics of that which governs the use and restrictions all motorcyclist now enjoy.

I realize these posts are relatively are history now i just wish to comment on the fact of these guys inquiring in Calif about insurance costs, What the Heck Are You Thinking, did you ever hear, leave sleeping dogs lie. Keep up your semi-intelligent thoughts and we will all have the joys of paying liability insurance because of your silly notion that the insurance companies have no such coverage for my silly little gas powered bike. Keep up the wonderful inquires with a little bit more of your wise guy comments you may be left with the only option to have all the states to comply with all the specifics of that which governs the use and restrictions all motorcyclist now enjoy.

Listen Smart guy....
It already is "required" under California law, as Motorized bicycles
are the SAME classification as Mopeds in this state which require insurance.
So I looked into it by calling insurance companies...
What's wrong with that?

Maybe you should get informed on States laws before you go acting a fool.

Don't be so condescending. There are a number of states that require insurance for motorized bicycles. California is one of them. Just because New York doesn't require it only makes this thread irrelevant to you. But it has relevancy to many others. Are you saying because you live in NY state and MB insurance isn't required there, we shouldn't post information telling folks where/how to find insurance for their MBs? Get your facts straight before insulting anyone by saying they have semi-intelligent thoughts and silly notions. :mad:

Last edited:
Listen noob,
I've had to go over this too many times already, but here we go again...
It's only a matter of time now; we are already too many in number to "FLY UNDER THE RADAR" (like I had been doing for over a decade now, but things change...), we have garnered notice and in many states (Including my own) we are required to register, license, and insure our vehicles.
The writing is on the wall.
Backwards thinking like yours will leave us caught with our pants off. We need to be ProActive so that we do not end up trying to be ReActive. In other words we need to work on the legislation and be involved in writing the reg.s that are coming down anyway, rather than trying to change the laws after the fact. It's always easier to be involved in writing the rules than it is to try to change them after they are in place.
Wise up boy-o, they're already after you as well. Why not try to be constructive and get involved; to help lead the writing of the rules. rather than trying to act the cool fool, whilst burying your head in the sand?!?!
Furthermore, if we are to be taken seriously, and as a legitimate form of transportation and as a legitimate vehicle classification we need our vehicles to be compliant. Do I like that? No. Do I understand why? Yes.
It's the attitudes like yours that will end up gettng us ALL regulated off the roadways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back