Called the AL State Troopers Office

Relax

I saw your post but someone refered me to a certain user and without verifying I thought it was someone different from you that may of had additional info.

I found something interesting for AL

Section 32-12-22
Registration; operator's license generally.

Every person, except a person holding a driver's license issued under authority of Chapter 6 of this title, before operating any motor-driven cycle upon a public highway in this state, shall register it with the Director of Public Safety and procure an operator's license. Operators' licenses shall be issued under and be governed by the provisions of Chapter 6 of this title; except, that such a license shall be issued to any person 14 years of age and older if such a person can satisfy the Director of Public Safety or an examining officer that he is competent to operate a motor-driven cycle with safety to persons and to property.
(Acts 1949, No. 652, p. 1006, Sec.3.)
Note the exception in the law
"except a person holding a driver's license issued under authority of Chapter 6 of this title"
Registration and obtaining a motor-driven cycle license is only required for 14 and 15 year old persons. Having an Alabama drivers license exempts registering the motor-driven cycle or having the separate motor-driven cycle license.
Definition of a motor-driven cycle.

Section 32-12-20
Definition; parent or guardian not to authorize or permit violations.

It is unlawful for any person to do any act forbidden or to fail to perform any act required by this chapter. The parent of any child and the guardian of any ward shall not authorize or knowingly permit any such child or ward to violate any of the provisions of this chapter. As used herein, the term "motor-driven cycle" shall include every motorcycle weighing when fully equipped less than 200 pounds and every bicycle with motor attached and every motor scooter.
(Acts 1949, No. 652, p. 1006, Sec.1.)
Most but not all 50cc Scooters weigh less than 200 pounds but some do. Make sure you purchase a Scooter weighing less than 200 pounds. You do not need to register or insure it in Alabama. Bicycles with motors attached are considered motor-driven cycles. As long as you do not exceed 200 pounds in weight, 5hp or 150cc you do not need to register or insure it. Nothing in the Code of Alabama requires retaining operational pedals.bothered about not having a tag on my motor-driven cycle since.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very interesting because there was a bill introduced and passed in the Alabama house to exempt motorized bicycles from the Motor Vehicle Code. That bill died in the Alabama Senate, I thinking in 2003, not sure. This reads like we should be able to skate but more reading and research must be done.

The above mentioned bill defined a motorized bicycle, 50CC or less, 2 HP or less, 25 MPH or less as a bicycle. Maybe we should write someone at the DMV, trouble is finding somebody that knows what the law is at the DMV.

"Anyhoo", great job!

Another way to get an answer would be to request an Attorney General's opinion from the AG's office. Its not technically law, but treated as such.

Back