Calling all 4 stroke frame mounters

It isn't really germane to Ghost0's issue- and for that I apologize, but I had the wide crank mounted, but given how low a mounted the seat, I ended up with my knee in my chest- I actually mounted a short crank and that works perfectly because the crank in now under, rather than next to, the pieces that make the Honda/Grubee combo wide.

To make it more germane to the topic, in addition to the wide one piece crank that comes standard with the Grubee, it seems the Hoot kit (pictured in the OP) comes standard with a 2 crank arms for a 3 piece crank.

Ghost0- I've seen your 2 stroke setup- great work! But if you keep the jackshaft assembly inside the outer side of the gearbox, you should not have pedal interference. I would think, however, that your setup would require 3 piece crank due to the front freewheel. Is this accurate?

Yes, the system would require the 3 piece crank set up for the front freewheel but the possibility exists to shorten the cranks as you suggest. I will attempt to throw the 4 stroke kit I have on one of the bikes I have to see what the fit issues would be in relation to the cranks. The problem is the only spare bike I have is an extremely small diamond frame so it isn't very representative of what others might use.

Thanks all for the information. I believe my question has been answered and that most of the 4 stroke engine mounting holes have the same pattern.

crank width for 4-stroke frame mount

The Honda with its gear box I believe is in the 9.5-10in. wide and I believe that it does not sit perfectly centered in the frame. So I would think that you are looking for 5.5-6in. from the centerline of the frame to the back side of the crank arm at the pedal attachment point.

ocscully

I'm very interested in how this can be accomplished.
It should be easy to make use of the motor mount plate for securing the jackshaft mounting system.

However, one major issue you'll run into, is the different positions of the output shaft from the different gearboxes will require a different mount for each gearbox.

Example: The Hoot gearbox like the one pictured above, will have a different output shaft position than a Grubee gearbox would.
But the orientation should be the same, so the shaft could be the same part, with just a different mounting plate.

I don't know if the different gearboxes have different output ratios, but since they use similar rear sprockets, one would logically assume the ratios are close enough to not be an issue.

I'm wishing you godspeed and good luck with this, as it would benefit me directly. :D

You do make a good point but one that I have already thought of. As long as the mounting plate can be adjusted fore and aft there should be no problem adjusting the jackshaft chain for the different gearboxes.

The engine mounting holes are the same for the Honda and Huangwheng but don't know about the Titan cos it's a rear mount. Where would the jack shaft fit on a frame mounted 4-stroke? Is the jack shaft to transfer the drive sprocket to the right hand side so you can run it on a geared hub?

Yes, the purpose of the jackshaft is to be able to use the gears on the rear cassette. You can see how this was done for the 2 stroke kits here.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=10772

The Chopper Happyzeds mentioned makes it too easy as there are no pedal issues because the pedals are so far in front of the motor. No problems with that application.

Back