Can a triple fork snap my head tube?

If the weight is oil, lubricating and cooling the damping system, that's a good kind of weight.
I think it's better to have a good open oil bath system than something that saves weight by means of reduced oil volume. We don't have to pedal the thing uphill unassisted so I don't think weight saving is a big concern.
I would pay £45-£60 for single crown forks, Marzocchi Z1 BAM, Z3 QR20 around 17-19 years old. They are not too difficult to service. I got a first edition Z1 for my next build, though the BAM version is more practical.

I wouldn't want the disposable Suntour anything, personally.

If you need 6" travel then the upside down DNM USD 6 or aka DNM USD 150 are well reviewed, also O.O.B. system.
I had the Marzocchi Monster Triple, 8" travel fork with the 40mm stantions, it was a beast of a fork and unfortunately it got stolen but I think that weighed about 8kg but was soooo plush.

Ducati still spec Marzocchi O.O.B. system forks on their street bikes.

The Suntour SR Epicon air forks use a cartridge along with oil.

You can buy the cartridge and seals for them so they aren't really disposable if you know how to properly rebuild them.

I used an Epicon shock for quite some time without any problems...set the sag properly and ride away.

The Suntour SR Epicon air forks use a cartridge along with oil.

You can buy the cartridge and seals for them so they aren't really disposable if you know how to properly rebuild them.

I used an Epicon shock for quite some time without any problems...set the sag properly and ride away.
I'm just a fan of coil sprung, open oil bath damping forks, I think they are the best choice for motorising (I have some air sprung forks too). More oil volume is a good thing IMO and the risk of blowing out the sealed cartridge isn't there (but idk if people want to jump these bikes anyway). I'm just a fan of old school Marzocchi forks really. They're top notch quality. :)

20 year old Marzocchi stantions on my Z1 Bomber '97:
_20171105_170949.JPG

Last edited:
I'm just a fan of coil sprung, open oil bath damping forks, I think they are the best choice for motorising (I have some air sprung forks too). More oil volume is a good thing IMO and the risk of blowing out the sealed cartridge isn't there (but idk if people want to jump these bikes anyway). I'm just a fan of old school Marzocchi forks really. :)

20 year old stantions:
View attachment 79799
I agree the marzzochi spring forks were quite good for what they were back then..Rockshox Judy was also a decent fork back then.

Today the SRSuntour XCR is one of the better of the "cheap" spring forks you can get today or at least made today

Back