Can anybody ID this bike motor !

dingboxfixer

Local time
8:37 AM
Hello everybody, my name is Lee from Joliet, IL. , at present I have 4 Cushman scooters and an active member of the Vintage Motor Bike Club ! Yesterday I ran accross this unusual motor at a sale, it appears to be from the 20's or 30's , V belt drive (A Belt), Bosch mag., a 2-cycle unit and a timimg chain to drive everything ! Anybody have any idea what bike it came on or maybe it was an "add-on" ?

Thanks for your help, Lee

Bikemotor1.jpg

Up-date , it's a '18 - '24 Evans Cyclemotor !

Hello Esteban,
Thanks for interest in helping me find out about my OLD bikemotor, Brian Kunzog was very kind in giving me an up-date, it's a '18-'24 Evans Cycemotor, and appears to be sold as a complete bike or just the motor to add to you bike ! The following is one of many articals I found on the internet (1918-1924 Evans Cyclemotor) !
Thanks again , Lee, Joliet,IL

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp122/dingboxfixer/1919EvansCyclemotor.jpg
1919EvansCyclemotor.jpg

/ / / / / / / / / /

1919 Evans Power Cycle
Motorcycles featuring Michael Corbin Collection, Bonhams & Butterfields (3rd May 2008)
[View all lots in this auction]Oft times in the world of motorcycling, smaller alternatives to mainstream sport and utility riding got lost in the promotion of full-sized motorcycles. Existing in a small niche market catering to a youth market or simply for someone looking for an inexpensive means of transport, the lightweight motorbike appeared sometime after 1910 and still exists to this day.

First appearances of the Evans Power Cycle would lead the observer to believe that it was built in a bicycle. While it undoubtedly used many commercial bicycle components, the Evans was a true motorcycle with a frame that was constructed to handle the rigors of life with a gas powered engine and rider, and perhaps the youthful exuberance of riding in a way that gave mothers gray hair. And in commonality with full-sized motorcycles of the time, the graceful gas tank was located between the upper frame rails of the motorcycle. Comfortable swept-back handlebars crown the frame and actually contain the control cables from the motor to control both throttle and spark advance, just like a larger motorcycle. The motorbike rolled on wooden bicycle wheels and full fenders protected the rider from the elements and road debris.

The heart of the Evans was a small two-stroke gasoline engine which was a complete package containing a powerplant and carburetor of their own manufacture, an exhaust, and a Bosch magneto. A metal flywheel kept the engine running smoothly, especially when ridden slowly and the power was transmitted to the rear wheel sheave with a compound belt. The engine used a gas/oil pre-mix for fuel and developed 1-1/2 horsepower. At 70 pounds, the motorbike could propel the rider at speeds of 30 mph or more. However the company warned the operator that �if he insists on keeping this speed up at all times the life of his machine naturally will be shortened�. In fact, it was advised to operate the motorbike at 20 to 25 mph to prolong the life of the machine and allow a speedy getaway when needed in case of an emergency.

Unique to the Evans was electric lighting. At time when lighting was still an option on full-size motorcycles, the Evans came with lighting as standard equipment. The simple headlight and taillight operated in series from a contact off the magneto.

The Cyclemotor Corporation of Rochester, New York manufactured the Evans Power Cycle from 1919 through 1925, eventually selling out to a Berlin based company, Stock-Motorpflug A.G. which continued the production until 1933. Customers could purchase an Evans directly from the factory and construct their motorbike themselves using the excellent instructions included with the machine. These machines were also sold through local hardware merchants and perhaps even motorcycle dealerships where the rider could simply walk in and buy a completed Evans ready for the road.

This Evans Power Cycle is an excellent example of a lightweight motorbike, owner restored by the late Randy Franks, rarely seen at antique motorcycle and car shows. A good looking motorbike, the Evans� size and weight are perfect for the older rider looking for a lightweight to enjoy. It features the owner�s manual, original saddle and tool kit, and is supplied with a title. It is ready for future exhibits and enjoying on the open road. Sold on a Bill of Sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it may be a cyclemotor, These are nice & rare. Get it running if you can.

Esteban, Thanks for your encouragement, but I think I'll pass on the "getting it running", maybe a new home would be more in order , it does need a carb. and new piston rings, as a starter ! I guess, I was more interested in what it was , rather than trying to find parts for another project ! Lee

Wow that is cool! I always think its so funny when people see me on my coaster brake beach cruiser with grubee kit, and act like these are so new and weird.

Hi Happycheapskate, Thanks for your interest in the Evans, I only own the motor that is pictured, NOT the entire bike and if I find someone that has to have it, that will be one less project, on my list ! Here is a picture of our "motorbikes" , '59 & '58 Cushman Eagles , that must look real "cool" ! Lee

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp122/dingboxfixer/ourEagles5958.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you can donate it to a motorcycle museum or Americana museum. I can't use it. I like the Cushman bikes. I heard they used to be used on Navy flight decks to get from one end to the other.

Hello Lee,

lately i found a tank fot this kind of engine when they were used as "ad-on" motor to build in a bicycle in the 20`s.
I`m dutch and allready have some dutch motorized bikes from the early 50`s. It would be nice to make something like this up and running again in holland.
Would it be possible for you to send it to holland?

Kind regards,

Back