Can anyone help me with my paint job?

So I decided to repaint my bike, and I had 3 coats of primer then 3 coats of color coating, now when it came to clear coat, this is a different story. When I put 1 coat of clear coat, immediately the paint starts making cracks and bubbling up, please help. Tell me what I’m doing wrong, I’m really confused
Thanks in advance
Is it a steel frame or alum. I have had this problem with rust-oleum also , I just figured. I didn't clean it well enough after wet sand. But it had to deal with the fact it was an alum. Tank . Spray paint and Alum , no bueno.

My guess is you used a enamel base coat and Laquer or oil base clear. Stick with the same kind of bases.

Is it a steel frame or alum. I have had this problem with rust-oleum also , I just figured. I didn't clean it well enough after wet sand. But it had to deal with the fact it was an alum. Tank . Spray paint and Alum , no bueno.
If you use 2K primer and paint, you'll never have an issue. Plus you can polish the clear.

listen to what he is saying. 3x primer 3x color no problem. Clear coat problem. sounds like he is using a lacquer base clear over enamel/acrylic color.

You need to use a primer and a base coat that is compatible with your clear coat. The base colour will appear dull. The clear cost is what gives it is shine. Most spray bombs are an acrylic enamel and don't react well with clear coats. Sounds like you're going to be sanding it down and staying over. :(
Clear and enamel are no go , if I did have to rely on the rattle , what kind of color would be best , not what color, but enamel, acrylic...etc

It's been a while since I painted a frame. As I recall I used Rust oleum fast dry all purpose primer, Dupli color automotive paint ford blue,
and dupli color clear engine enamel with ceramic for the top coat for better fuel resistance. This was a while back so wait for someone on here that knows his s**t about painting to chime in before trusting my old fart memory.
View media item 60782

It's been a while since I painted a frame. As I recall I used Rust oleum fast dry all purpose primer, Dupli color automotive paint ford blue,
and dupli color clear engine enamel with ceramic for the top coat for better fuel resistance. This was a while back so wait for someone on here that knows his sh*t about painting to chime in before trusting my old fart memory.
View media item 60782
Nice bike. I used BC/CC on my tank and once it was all buffed out no fuel damages it. I've even forgot to wipe it off a few times because I was tuning and when I did wipe it off, no damage.

I would like to add, base coat/ clear coat is kinda expensive just for a bike tank and I would follow Gary's suggestion if I hadn't already had the paint left over from a major project.

Back