Can I attach a chain tensioner upside down?

bigkev81

Local time
10:00 PM
Hey guys,

Almost ready to take my bike for a test ride and see if the engine still runs after sitting for 2 or 3 years.
My biggest problem was chains breaking. After the new chain not fitting on the drive sprocket, and my chain being too short, I have fixed those problems with grinding the sprocket down, and using a chain breaker to add 2 links to my chain.

But now, I cannot get the tensioner to fit underneath the chain. Putting the roller in the lowest position there is not enough slack in the chain. :(

How about installing it upside down and against the top chain, like I've posted in the photo below.

IMAG0208.jpg

many folks have problems with tensioners mounted normally, so unusual mounts seem a bad idea (top of chain is where all the force is, while bottom is where slack occurs)

have you considered adding a link or half-link?, also, if chain run is fairly straight some folks do OK with no tensioner until chain begins to stretch enough to need one

get back wheel in air with clutch locked out and spin pedals enough to watch chain run at high speed to see what it needs

I have considered adding more links to the chain, but was looking for an easier solution.
What exactly do you mean by half-link? Don't links need to be added in pairs? Forgive my noobishness, I have never dealt with chains before this week.

links have 3 rollers, but a half-link has only two - a bit harder to work with, so without experience you should probably add a full link

might want to just take out extra link you put in and replace it with a longer one rather than add yet another master link

I have considered adding more links to the chain, but was looking for an easier solution.
What exactly do you mean by half-link? Don't links need to be added in pairs? Forgive my noobishness, I have never dealt with chains before this week.
I think that is the right idea. Add links as needed to allow your tensioner to fasten to the chain stay. Chain work is a pain, but it gets easier the more you do it. I set the roller high enough in the slot to allow a box end wrench on the bolt head + about 1/8" extra in case it's a bit tight after mounting is complete. Mount it loosely on the chain stay and move it forward or back till you find the spot where you can replace the outer link with a master link and tighten it there.. Use the tensioner to line up the chain feed onto the sprocket. Rotate wheel till the chain is at it's tightest spot and adjust tension there. You should get some grade 8 or better bolts for the tensioner to frame connection so you can tighten and loosen them several times without them stripping. The ones supplied with the kits are trash. Since you have already tightened the tensioner once so you may need to manipulate the swells of the tensioner with a hammer making them closer together and allow them to clamp tight enough to the frame for the second mounting.

Last edited:
omg this is driving me crazy, lol.
So I have added 1 link (meaning 2 sections of the chain, the inner and outer) and now it seems the chain is way too friggen long! :eek:

So I took that extra link back off, and played around until i was able to get the tensioner in the perfect position.
But everytime I go to try and tighten it down, it seems to pull out and away from the bike :(
I am almost ready to start pulling my hair out lol

Last edited:
This is how your tensioner should be set up. The smaller piece to the outside of the frame, and all the nuts facing outward. The flat washer then the lock washer then the nut. then you install the assembly loosely to the frame, and move it rearward till the chain is tight. What ever you have wrapped around the frame isn't going to hold up, so don't worry about the tensioner being in that exact spot. Read what I said in reply 6. Sometimes twisting the larger piece of the tensioner just below the slot can help align the roller to the sprocket if needed. If you look on the other side you should have room for a box end wrench on the bolt head below the roller + 1/8th in.

Thank you Gary. I had the larger bracket on the outside. Anyways, I feel I may have it sorted now. I will post a vid of me turning the pedals by hand shortly (God bless the double kickstand :) )

What do you guys think. Am I ready to gas her up and try and take her for a spin?

To get the tension right, the roller clears the wheel by only a few mm's. Will that be a problem?

Back