Can I attach a chain tensioner upside down?

Look I'm just sayin if your say plate movement isn't relevant in one sentence then you say adjust the plate movement with the flower nut in the very next it would appear that one has direct influence with the other through your very own words. I.E. relevance you ornery ol goat. Still love ya baby, you jus mean sometime.

lol you guys are right.
Its not 31mm, its 3.1 lol
Sorry guys, was almost 4am hahahah

Thank you Gary55 and crassius. Your explanation was alot better than bikeberrys video. I am confident I've got the clutch setup right now.
Thanks alot guys.

Now I've pulled my carby off, and am trying to find instructions on cleaning the carb. Thanks guys. Hopefully I should be riding before the end of today :)

Successful test ride!!! :D
The carby didnt really need cleaning but its better to be safe then sorry.
I've taken her for a couple rides up and down my street.

Slight issue with the pressure plate though. When the lever is clutch lever is locked it seems to be turning the back wheel still when I have it up on the double kickstand.
But sitting on it, it doesn't stall if the wheel isn't moving.
I should have had my laptop next to me and followed your instructions step by step lol. I will have a go at it later as I need to go out for a little bit.

Thank you very much for all the help guys! :)

don't worry much about wheel turning a bit when free - the pressure plate will wobble a bit in there - as long as revs don;t drop when locked with wheel on ground, you're not dragging

Okay, I'll leave it as it as the revs are fine when the wheel is stopped. I wouldn't even have noticed it if I didn't have a double kickstand.
May be a smart thing to put my original kickstand back on, I only wanted the double ks to make the bike easier to work on.

There's two things that I can think of that would allow the engine to turn the rear wheel while the clutch is supposed to be locked open, one has already been mentioned, the clutch plate being too close or wobbling (or the separation spring being missing from under it? OK three things!). The other is the bearing that the big ring gear spins on. If there is a lack of grease or the bearing is just a bad one it could turn the shaft inside of it (that has the three prongs at the end). My bearing was stuck like the grease had baked dry or something, and sounded very dry when I got my engine and started having a play with it. The bearing sounds much better now with a little grease added through the three grease ports in the back although the engine is still basically a coffee table ornament, lol.

Ground the sprocket down?!! What does that mean? Doesn't sound like a good idea. I would take that tensioner and throw it as far as you can. Those things are dangerous. They do not belong anywhere near anything with a motor on it, I wouldn't even use one for a tensioner on a pedal only bike. Sooner or later, usually sooner, they will get pulled into the rear wheel. That can happen in several different ways. The bracket can turn on the chainstay, it can bend, or the super cheap plastic roller will break, allowing a really loose chain to come off of and jam between the rear sprocket and the wheel. Also notice that the chain runs straight from the front sprocket to the rear sprocket, but the chainstay does not. It runs at an angle to the chain, making things even worse. A chainstay mounted tensioner will not line up with the chain. You hear a lot about how dangerous fenders can be, but these things are far worse IMO. You can build you own, using a super heavy bracket that won't bend, and something like a skateboard wheel, or you can buy a nice engine mounted tensioner for about $35 on eBay. Do these China engines really use a 20:1 mixture? I have always used a 40:1 mixture in all modern 2 stroke engines. So I am not sure about the proper mixture. But I do know that you can use any kind of 2 stroke oil you want, from cheap weed eater oil to high dollar synthetic. Synthetic will not harm the engine, but neither will cheap oil. I have seen the cheap stuff run in $500 commercial weed eaters, used 8-10 hours a day, and they last for years.

Ground the sprocket down?!! What does that mean? ...
Wow...
Could any of you get though that huge no break post?
Conm on Dog, try to hit Enter every now and again so it's readable please.

I think it's about tensioner and fuel mix advice...

It sounds like your build may not even need a tensioner, just move your back wheel back and compensate on the pedal side.
No tensioner builds kick butt, but you still have to adjust them the first 10 miles or so or for wear-in of the sprocket and chain wear, commonly called 'chain stretch'. What a silly term, chains are not like rubber bands, they don't stretch, they wear hehe ;-}

A tensioner is simple a wheel and some metal that can be installed, bent, and otherwise very effective in every way.
It's not that hard to bend the thing to make the pulley line up with frame and and stay put, and no matter what, never EVER try to put it in on drive side!

The same is true for 2-stroke engines.
I recommend ruing a gallon of the best gas you have available with half a cup of non-syth cheap 2-stroke oil.
This allows everything to wear in friendly.

Then you can go to 1/3rd cup per gallon of the best snyth you can find but don't be silly about buying it!
Pre-measured little plastic containers of 2-stroke oil to a quart of it, it's is like the difference between the cost of nail polish to house paint!

Get yourself a clear measuring cup and 1-gallon gas an and your set...
When the first gallon is gone, switch to a 1/3 cup of the good stuff.

Good luck with the build noob, hope it helps ;-}

Back