Can I make an exhaust gasket from a soda can?

There are other alternatives around the home or general store besides a soda can, I'm sure.

View media item 61336View media item 61335The gasket supplied in the "kit" is the source of that burning rubber smell. The non metal parts have been burned and when I removed the exhaust they crumbled away like dry dirt. The crumbly bits held together while the exhaust was on and kept tight. You should make sure that you have good quality studs and use the double nutting method to ensure your nuts don't loosen while not overstressing the threads in the cast allu cylinder.

(Edit: because it looked like I was showing the next pic as an example of what double nutting is, but it was purely a coincidence!
Actually the big long studding joiner thing is a bit of an attempt at leg protection. I expect its a just few degrees less burning hot when I'm moving than the exhaust header! The stud is double nutted anyway, but only the two smaller nuts need be shown if I was trying to illustrate that.)

View media item 61370Silicone brownie baking tray, I'm using at the moment. I have tested it but I have not been able to ride the MaB for a while so I don't know how long it will last. I have a spare one in the toolbag. I like that it will not cut me or be damaged by being squashed in with the wrenches and stuff. I can get maybe twenty gaskets from a single silicone brownie baking tray.

Last edited:
Silicone baking trays are only good for temperatures up to 450* The exhaust gets hotter than that.
Ya can buy sheets of exhaust gasket material good for temperatures up to 1,200* at auto parts stores.
Mr. Gasket - Ultra Seal Exhaust Gasket Material -1/16"x10"x10" Sheet - Part #5960 -$13.99
Costs$ less or the same as a silicone brownie tray, $13.99
Now ya can't even make brownies. I would rather eat brownies.

10"x10" Sheet - Part #5960 -$13.99
Costs$ less or the same as a silicone brownie tray
Oh I can definitely still make incredible brownies. There is more than one brownie baking tray in the world and more than one just in my kitchen.
Like the soda can in the thread title it was not from an auto parts store. This is a thread about the soda can gasket, an alternative and temporary solution to the problem of having to wait for real gasket material when you need transport.
I suggested the silicone because it is another thing that can be found around the home or nearby in a general store, it is easy to cut, and it does seal the exhaust- at least for a few heat cycles and in quite gentle use which will get you to your job and home again. I can say that the brownie tray is a good option to know about.

The silicone baking tray exhaust gasket, as I mentioned above, has been tested by me on my real bike, and it did not leak.
I don't know how you did your testing to get that very round figure of 450° Fahrenheit. You have not posted anything about your testing to destruction of various gasket materials.
That exhaust gasket material sheet you suggested is several times higher in price than the price of the silicone brownie tray not lower, and it is smaller so will make fewer gaskets, and much more importantly it cannot be found in the home or at any general store. It is not a valid alternative to real exhaust gasket material because it is real exhaust gasket material. I think you misunderstand the topic of the thread.

Last edited:
Check the specs of the Silicone Brownie tray on line and check the price. The cheep ones are $13 that I've seen.
How many gaskets do ya think ya need? A 10"x10" exhaust sheet will make a lot of gaskets. for $14
If ya don't have an auto parts store by you then just order it. It will last longer than a Brownie gasket.
No I have never tried a Silicone Brownie baking tray as an exhaust gasket. I'm a little smarter than that.
But in a emergency yea use it. It's gotta last a few miles. Since ya got a whole bunch, waste your time and keep changing them out.
Just like the soda can idea. BTW a soda can is a lot cheaper than a Silicone Brownie tray. I thought ya wanted to save $ money?
Everyone has a soda can or beer can in the trash. Ask around (USA) I bet no one (Men) has even heard of a silicone Brownie baking tray.
I've never heard of a Silicone Brownie baking tray. I had to look it up. LOL
Besides who wants to get chewed out by their wife or girlfriend for ruing her prized Silicone Brownie baking tray?
I don't care what their made on. I just care about eating them.

I really don't care what ya use. I just felt that it was a waste of your Moms brownie tray.
Now she can't make you brownies
You have done absolutely no testing. You have absolutely no experience. But you can rubbish the idea without needing to use experience because you're just smarter than that.
No, the idea was not to save money. You made an incorrect statement about exhaust gasket material being cheaper than silicone baking trays and I corrected you. The thread is about what you can use for a gasket immediately when you don't have a gasket to hand. Your suggestion is to use a gasket. You must be very smart indeed.

Glad ya saved that. Like I said you win. I really don't care what ya use.

You have done absolutely no testing. You have absolutely no experience. But you can rubbish the idea without needing to use experience because you're just smarter than that.
No, the idea was not to save money. You made an incorrect statement about exhaust gasket material being cheaper than silicone baking trays and I corrected you. The thread is about what you can use for a gasket immediately when you don't have a gasket to hand. Your suggestion is to use a gasket. You must be very smart indeed.
You really are Furry on the inside LOL

While you think I went off topic by suggesting to use gasket material and felt the need to rudely correct me.
This thread was not about what you can use for an exhaust gasket immediately when you don't have a gasket on hand.
You came up with that idea all on your own. I suggest you reread the thread.
Kmarcetje post#1 just asked if he could use a soda can as a gasket.
Most all of the other posts referred to and gave advice on using a soda can as a gasket.

Since you changed the topic to Silicone brownie baking trays. I was just replying to your post.
I'm really glad Silicone Brownie baking trays work so well for you. I can see your very proud of the idea and want to share your discovery.
While in your kitchen or at your corner store there may be many Silicone Brownie baking trays available.
I don't think everyone has those. I don't call running to the corner store ready available on hand at home.
You say "The idea was not to save money" then why not just run to the auto parts store and buy exhaust gasket material?
That made more sense to me. While your running to the store why not buy whats correct? Don"t settle for something inferior?

I tried to delete my post before you responded. I had a feeling you would take it the wrong way.
After I wrote it I realized I really didn't give a s**t what ya use for an exhaust gasket and I didn't want to debate to subject.
Excuse me if I ruffled your apron. I didn't mean to get ya all spun up.

Hey Furry, I've been busy at other things, but it is great to read your posts and see your pictures. I gotta catch up.
I love that silicon sheet idea. I have gotta try it. Thanks.
Jeramie, a soda can will work as a head gasket or even an exhaust if the head or flange is flat. Butre's advice is valid. For the head I like using sandpaper on a sheet of glass.
Wrench, copper or brass sheet is a bit too hard for these motors, Better to stick to aluminum or twisted teflon tape and grease.
Nikkiss, usually original gaskets blow out because the flange is warped (maybe bolts over tightened) or the bolts came loose. Aluminum sheet (soda cans) work very good on these motors if the flange is flat and the bolts are properly torqued. Double nutting exhaust studs is a good idea but the first nut and stud MUST be properly torqued. The gasket material needs some resilience, but too much could be a bad thing, allowing too much movement and vibration.
I've used IR temp gauges on the flange and head to see temps are in the 350F region at the exhaust flange. Cardboard will actually work for a moderate amount of time (temp fix). Aluminum allows some heat transfer which is good.
For both head and exhaust flange consider a ring of twisted teflon plumber's tape, held in place with a daub of grease. This is a trick I first read on this forum and have used in a great many places. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Back