Sprockets Can I mount a sprocket on a Shimano nexus 7spd internal hub?

yes I did it to a 3 speed, I had to get the sproke Inside diameter widened, and on the HUB I had to dremel a few holes so the screws would go through. I think it works better. Do to the fact that the sproket is now connected to the hub rather than the spokes.

Thanks Masterlink, I think you are referring to their freewheel rear sprocket option which I am not interested in because it's too expensive for me to rebuild a whole wheel. That 7 speed hub and coaster brake is worth $400 and I wouldn't want to not use it. The freewheel rear hub is OK but I don't think it can be integrated with the Shimano Nexus 7. Also it's Chinese. I'm happy with just the front freewheel drive sprocket but I suspect the sprocket wouldn't fit over the hub and the hub flange would get in the way of the bolt holes. Jemma UK has this bike and she might know the answer to my query. If there's a problem with the hub I'd use another Alloy Seven cruiser which is problem free except it can't take springer forks cos the head tube is longer than any springers on the market. No front suspension is a problem I find and the motor tray takes a beating on the bumps with rigid forks. Here's what the hub looks like. The one with a black arm coming off it is a roller brake and the one with the long silver steel arm is, I think, a coaster but I'm not certain about that. They are both Shimano Nexus 7s.

mine is like the first picture, electra relic cruiser

Photo #1 shows the Shimano Hexus Hub these measurements are taken from. Photo #2 starting from the left side of the photo the black straight shoulder of the hub is 53mm dia., at the smaller edge of the silver 65mm dia., at the shoulder where the taper meets the hub flange 74mm dia., OD of the hub flange 105mm

The first photo above of the two nexus hubs I believe is of a 4-speed with a steel hub body.

ocscully

Thats the later cyber-nexus 4 I think which bears no relation to the 7-speed hub at all. On that there is no double shouldering and its a 36-spoke wheel. the size of the hub at the point where you would mount a sprocket is approx 2cms

Jemma xx

Below are photos of the Nexus Inter-7 Coaster hub on the left and the Nexus Inter-8 Coaster hub on the right. The measurements in post #10 are from the Inter-8 Coaster hub but as you can see the Inter-7 Coaster is very similar. The Inter-8 has a slightly larger dia spoke flange 105mm vs 100mm for the Inter-7

Attachments

• 10676.jpg
    10676.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 630
  • 10677.jpg
    10677.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:
Dimensions of Sprocket Holes

Here is the dimensions for a typical rear drive sprocket in case anyone has one of these Shimano Nexus 7 spd hubs. The hole is 37mm dia. and the distance from centre of hole to edge of bolt hole is 33mm. The dimensions are the same on all the sprockets I've seen.

Attachments

• 44T Sprocket with dims.jpg
    44T Sprocket with dims.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 546
Back