Can I ride it on the road?

Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by Namtraf, May 5, 2007.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Namtraf

    Namtraf Guest

    I live in southern Michigan and I just look at the state laws today and don't know if I can ride it on the road or not. Michigan sais a moped is under 50cc my bike is going to be 80cc. But my bike will still have pedals. I also read an article on that was saying that a motorized bicycle is considered a moped or a motorcycle depending on engine size. Anybody else in Michigan hav any problems with riding on the road?

  2. DougC

    DougC Guest

    Every state is different; they use different terminology, different definitions and have different laws.

    Email your state dept of motor vehicles and ask them.
  3. Edward

    Edward Guest

    I got no grief when I was riding in Kalamazoo last year Memorial Day weekend, but there were 300 to 400 mopeds roaming the streets so I didn't really stand out.
  4. I say ride responsibly, be friendly, love thy neighbors, and plead ignorance if you're stopped :lol:

    If your bike is over 49cc, many states consider it a motorcycle. So don't tell them yours is over 49cc :razz:

  5. Namtraf

    Namtraf Guest

    That's the nice thing about these Chinese motors, they have no markings indicating there CC's. I think I can get away with staying along the side of the road and slow down when I see cop. I don't know bout riding it to work though I got to go down town for that. I'll just check with my local deparment and see what the laws are so I know what I should be ignorent about.
  6. thatsdax

    thatsdax Guest

    These are not !!!!

    These are not motorized bicycles. These are motor assisted bicycles. That means...Bicycles first...then small motor was added to assist in pedaling. A motorized bicycle is that which has two wheels and its only mode of propulsion is a motor. Electric or gas or steam or what ever. A motorized bicycle was never a pedal bicycle from the start. Here are the Categories.

    motor Assisted bicycle

    motorized bicycle




    This is from what I have found doing internet searches and from CRC statues.
  7. D_M

    D_M Member

    The most I have found so far about Michigan law is the standard "you need a moped license or Michigan Operator (Driver's) License." Which is the standard thing about mopeds here, but mopeds also require a license sticker, and I still have no idea if I need that.
  8. Turner

    Turner New Member

    just got a ticket in waterford michigan for motor vehicle on sidewalk. 2 points on your license.. pleading ignorance didn't help. be warned... above 50 ccs it's a motorcycle.. and I've got nothing but greif from police... I regret building it.
  9. D_M

    D_M Member

    Sorry to hear that Turner. I live in one of the old inner-ring suburbs just north of Detroit. If I rode to work, I would have to drive through six or seven different cities on the way, so this is a concern of mine as well.
  10. eljefino

    eljefino Member

    What an unjust ripoff! Around here no parking tickets count on your license, except maybe handicapped spaces and fire hydrants.

    How did they even know it was you? I guess maybe your sticker?
  11. D_M

    D_M Member

    They probably rolled alongside the sidewalk and turned their lights on. The cops here are good at making money.

    I was once even pulled over by a horse cop when I was driving a full size 67 Dodge convertable. He shouted at me as I made a right turn, apparently it is illegal to make a right turn when there are pedestrians in the crosswalk, even if they have just stepped off a curb 60 feet away.
  12. Warner

    Warner Member

    WE can call them whatever we want to. What really matters though is how they are defined legally. In Illinois, the top three that you list are all lumped in as mopeds. Call them what you want, the state of Illinois calls it a moped, and then only if it meets the following criteria:

    A motorized pedalcycle (moped) is a motor-driven cycle. It produces two-brake horsepower or less and has a maximum speed of 30 mph. If the moped has an internal combustion engine, the displacement shall not exceed 50 cubic centimeters, and the power drive system shall not require the driver to shift gears.

    A moped driver must have a current, valid driver's license of any classification. A person without a driver's license who wishes to operate only a moped must obtain a Class L license. The owner must have a Certificate of Title and a registration plate must be attached on the rear of the moped.

    A moped driver may not carry a passenger unless the moped is equipped with a passenger seat and passenger footrests. If the moped is to be driven at night, it must be equipped with a white light on the front that is visible for 500 ft. and a red reflector on the rear that is visible from 100 to 600 ft. when in front of a vehicle's headlights. A red light visible for 500 ft. also may be used in addition to the reflector.

    I'm cool with all of this except for wondering about the part that reads "The owner must have a Certificate of Title and a registration plate must be attached on the rear of the moped."

    So with this in mind, I called the secretary of state police (217) 782-7126, who referred me to the Specially constructed vehicles division (217) 557-2086. I left a message for that lady (Yes, ONE person in that "division"). Apparently in order to get a registration plate, I would have to build the bike and then get them to inspect it and put a number on it. Probably takes forever I would guess. I'm going to see what happens though. I feel CERTAIN that if I had a registration plate on it I would NOT get hassled.

  13. D_M

    D_M Member

    It may be sacrilegious, but I got a moped registration and decal today. Hopefully it is an $18 don't-bother-me sign on the back of my bike and also will help me avoid getting into legal debates with metro Detroit's finest.
  14. Warner

    Warner Member

    I would (and will) do the same thing if I have that option. I have a feeling that the red tape involved in getting the "specially constructed vehicle division" (which is ONE person) out to inspect and register the bike will make me forget about it and just ride the darn thing.....

  15. D_M

    D_M Member

    Fortunately my bike is an old Columbia. I put the year and also listed make and model as Columbia "Whizzer" and told them it was a restoration project that I picked up at a garage sale. They wanted to see a bill of sale or know who the previous owner was. I told her I had no bill of sale and had no idea who owned it. I had to fill out a certification of ownership or something like that. Then I had to go home and wait for them to call me while they ran a title check to see if it was in their system. I told the lady it had a Detroit Bicycle license on it, and was a bicycle with a motor, was probably never registered as a moped before and that I was just trying to make sure I could ride it with no problems.

    Anyways, a couple hours later they called me to come back and issued the decal and registration.
    Passenger66 likes this.
  16. D_M

    D_M Member

    I should add that Michigan does not inspect the bike and never saw it.
  17. HoughMade

    HoughMade Guest

    I'm with Warner- each state can and does define what it will allow on its roads and under what circumstances.

    There are no federal laws governing uniform standards about what is allowed on the road. If it is possible to comply, it is best to. Michigan's law looks pretty simple.

    As for riding on the sidewalk....ask for trouble and you'll get it.
  18. Mountainman

    Mountainman Active Member

    Well - here in Calif. your bike would be aprox. 4X the amount of legal cc -- so as to be called a MB. If we ride on the sidewalk -- TICKET TIME.. If you check the Fed Laws in regards to 80cc - I think you will find -- calls for a motor cycle license... Happy Riding from - Mountainman
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  19. sparky

    sparky Active Member

    Pretty strange that I hear other people saying they're not allowed to ride on the sidewalks. When I encountered some cops one time, they told me the only place I can ride IS the sidewalk, and of course off road, but that goes without saying.

    The United States of America is quite the place, ain't it?
  20. Mountainman

    Mountainman Active Member

    The United States of America is quite the place, ain't it?[/QUOTE]

    sparky -- You got that right !!! Man, it is hard enough trying to keep right with the laws in this state and then the different counties... I was just wondering -- what if one decided to ride their MB across the USA ??? I would hope that the local poolice would GIVE A MAN OR LADY A BREAK.. A ticket on a MB while crossing the USA -- in the news -- would not look good for the ones that wear a badge !!! Happy Riding from - Mountainman