Can I ride it on the road?

I was just wondering -- what if one decided to ride their MB across the USA ??? I would hope that the local poolice would GIVE A MAN OR LADY A BREAK.
I was just wondering the same thing a couple hours ago... If I took my bike to Texas or some other state and registered it there as a "moped" or "motorized bicycle" or whatever they call it there, and then bring it back to Mississippi, will I be able to say, "Nanny, nanny, boo, boo... It's registered in Texas, and you can't do anything about it!" Not with those exact words, but ya know.

Namtraf -- just a little guess here -- 80cc will require some licensing requirments before being able to ride on the streets. In Calif an 80cc would be called a motor driven cycle -- not a motorized bicycle -- with the deciding factor being -- motorized bicycles to be under 2hp - what would this equal in cc's - just a guess - maybe 40cc ??? Check with your state DMV office -- you may find some information in your state on line.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Last edited:
WE can call them whatever we want to. What really matters though is how they are defined legally. In Illinois, the top three that you list are all lumped in as mopeds.
Apparently in order to get a registration plate, I would have to build the bike and then get them to inspect it and put a number on it. Probably takes forever I would guess. I'm going to see what happens though. I feel CERTAIN that if I had a registration plate on it I would NOT get hassled. ...
If you're in Illinois, if you have a engine that is equal or smaller to the displacement/speed of a 50cc moped and are obeying traffic laws, you shouldn't get hassled anyway.

First of all you need to email the DMV and ask them this exact question "if I attach a engine to a bicycle, is it still street legal?"
You must state that YOU are attaching the engine, and don't say "motorized bicycle", because that may be interpreted to mean a bicycle that originally came with a engine attached, which legally can amount to something else entirely. In this case, the terms "moped" and "motorized bicycle" mean technically different things than "a bicycle you put an engine on yourself".

If the Springfield office tells you it is (because they told me it is) then when a policeman stops you, you need to tell them that you have an email from the DMV saying it is legal, and you want to know exactly what law says that it isn't.

Points to ponder-
1) There may be a local ordinance prohibiting them.
2) The legal limit is stated as a "moped-class" engine, those being <50cc / 2Hp / 30 mph.

----

Finally--I was told that you cannot register a newly-constructed bicycle as a motor vehicle at all in IL*. Mopeds have tire, frame and wheel strength standards that bicycle parts will not pass.

*{If it is a vintage motorized bicycle (one that came with an engine already attached by the manufacturer, such as a Solex) and you can find if IL did register them in the past, you may be able to register it under the grandfather clause}.
~

just got a ticket in waterford michigan for motor vehicle on sidewalk. 2 points on your license.. pleading ignorance didn't help. be warned... above 50 ccs it's a motorcycle.. and I've got nothing but greif from police... I regret building it.

Ouch! I think the main thing that raised their hackles, was running on the sidewalk.. Not sure what the laws state, for Mich., about bikes keeping off the road, or not.. but if it's got a motor, generally it should be on the road, not the sidewalk.

Understandable about the 50CC limit. Connecticut has the same limitation (besides a whole slew of other requirements.. Had one police officer take one look at my bike, but I think the "MOPEDX" plate on the back warded him off. (See personal gallery, "Loreley" in the forum). The manual clutch, per the law is a definite No-No! (requires a automatic transmission.)

One thing I'm beginning to worry about, as of late, the exhaust noise has been getting increasingly louder. I'm getting ready to disassemble the muffler, and see if it is the poor welding job to the inner top disc, or what..
(only one spot welded, leaving a open area around the center tube, into the resonator area.) I know I need to replace one of the exhaust port bolts, which I accidentally snapped assembling the engine, (left off the lock & flat washer, tightened the nut directly to the flange.) it doesn't seem the be leaking past the gasket. But, the increased noise is liable to raise someone's ire, and get me noticed too much. Let's see if a little cardboard around the tube makes any difference (temporarily), and if it does, break-out the Mapp-Oxy torch, and see if I can close that opening.

Okay, I definitely broke the rules, Only on 2nd gallon of fuel, in the break-in period. Riding it home from work yesterday, and Mother Nature decided we needed some MORE[/U} rain. As soon as it became a good down-pour, I threw caution to the wind, and cranked the throttle full open. Now, That really made some noise! flying along at a even 35 MPH down the main highway through town. The sunglasses provided plenty of eye protection, but the big droplets hitting my face, HURT! Made it home in record time, but the brakes positivly sucked! (cantilevered) actually used the engine to power-down at the lights.

God!!!! That was fun!!! :cool:

Stephen

If you're in Illinois, if you have a engine that is equal or smaller to the displacement/speed of a 50cc moped and are obeying traffic laws, you shouldn't get hassled anyway.

First of all you need to email the DMV and ask them this exact question "if I attach a engine to a bicycle, is it still street legal?"
You must state that YOU are attaching the engine, and don't say "motorized bicycle", because that may be interpreted to mean a bicycle that originally came with a engine attached, which legally can amount to something else entirely. In this case, the terms "moped" and "motorized bicycle" mean technically different things than "a bicycle you put an engine on yourself".

If the Springfield office tells you it is (because they told me it is) then when a policeman stops you, you need to tell them that you have an email from the DMV saying it is legal, and you want to know exactly what law says that it isn't.

Points to ponder-
1) There may be a local ordinance prohibiting them.
2) The legal limit is stated as a "moped-class" engine, those being <50cc / 2Hp / 30 mph.

----

Finally--I was told that you cannot register a newly-constructed bicycle as a motor vehicle at all in IL*. Mopeds have tire, frame and wheel strength standards that bicycle parts will not pass.

*{If it is a vintage motorized bicycle (one that came with an engine already attached by the manufacturer, such as a Solex) and you can find if IL did register them in the past, you may be able to register it under the grandfather clause}.
~

Yeah, there ARE local ordinances up here. My real question about that is, "Do the cops even know what's legal?" My GUESS would be no...and that if you are riding politely and following traffic laws and look like a guy on his way to work (which I WOULD be) you PROBABLY wouldn't get hassled...but then again, who knows? Do you have a copy of the e-mail from the IL DMV that you would be willing to forward to me?

Thanks!

Warner

Yeah, there ARE local ordinances up here. My real question about that is, "Do the cops even know what's legal?" My GUESS would be no...and that if you are riding politely and following traffic laws and look like a guy on his way to work (which I WOULD be) you PROBABLY wouldn't get hassled...but then again, who knows?
If you don't technically live in the city that enacted the ordinances, then they wouldn't apply to you even if you were riding through that city.

Do you have a copy of the e-mail from the IL DMV that you would be willing to forward to me?
I have it saved, but you should ask them yourself.
If you have a copy of mine, it's "something unsubstantiated that you found online". If you email them yourself, it's "an email you got from the Springfield DMV office".
~

I've been known to ride on a sidewalk or two. Normally i ride on the street, but some roads are just too dangerous. I try to avoid those and take a back way. Sidewalk riding laws can vary in every local jurisdiction and are completely at an officer's discretion.

My advice, (for what it's worth): Register your bike as a moped and, (wherever possible), STAY OFF SIDEWALKS!!

If you don't technically live in the city that enacted the ordinances, then they wouldn't apply to you even if you were riding through that city.
Whu?!? Is this true??

My advice, (for what it's worth): Register your bike as a moped and, (wherever possible), STAY OFF SIDEWALKS!!
This doesn't work everywhere. A motorized bicycle & even a moped are just motorcycles by way of our vague definitions. The cops specifically told me that I was only allowed to ride it on the sidewalk if I'm not pedaling.

The problem with Michigan is that there are huge urban areas and huge rural areas. There should be different laws in localities based on conditions. it is just stupid to outlaw Mb's on country roads that see 1 or 2 cars a day.

Here in AZ, you could register the bike as a moped, but then, you couldn't ride in the bike lanes.

These are not motorized bicycles. These are motor assisted bicycles. That means...Bicycles first...then small motor was added to assist in pedaling. A motorized bicycle is that which has two wheels and its only mode of propulsion is a motor. Electric or gas or steam or what ever. A motorized bicycle was never a pedal bicycle from the start. Here are the Categories.

motor Assisted bicycle

motorized bicycle

moped

scooter

motorcycle

This is from what I have found doing internet searches and from CRC statues.
Dax - here in Arizona, we ARE motorized bicycles. That IS the legal term used to define a bicycle with a helper motor attached, either electric or gas. Per Arizona Revised Statute 28-2516.

Back