Local time
6:51 PM
ok heres the issue
i took a fall again today

yet again im fine lol
ALWAYS WEAR THAT HELMET

well anyway

i was just outside looking at my bike
well as i was looking at the seat post i noticed a crack on each pole that goes from seat post down to back tire

both clean cracks that look like someone took a hacksaw to it

they are right by where those 2 poles are welded to the seat post

its the schwinn cruiser bike

would applying jb weld to them completely fix this or should i look for another bike?

JB weld

Thats a critical strength area. I would not trust JB weld to hold that , see if you can get it welded properly by a real welder or get a new bike if thats what you want.

HI,

I agree with MotorMac...JB is good BUT I wouldn't trust it that much.

Andrew

as much as I enjoy JB weld - been using it for years

it should never be used to repair any part of a broken frame

also note -- for welding of frames -- expert welder highly recommended

ride that thing

ok heres the issue
i took a fall again today
have you considered training wheels? :p

just kidding...I'm glad you are ok...keep wearing that helmet!!

its the schwinn cruiser bike

is this an old schwinn cruiser? built in the USA ?
these were brazed together....really strong.

or, is it a newer one....possibly aluminum?

Either way, this repair would be best done by a professional. do you have any welder buddies?

its a newer one
if it were the older one i prolly woulkdnt have this prob lol

but ill take it by an auto garage and wow them with my mb and ask if they can do a little welding for me

Gas (OA) will do it best. Sounds like a job for a muffler shop. You'll have much better results if you prep it correctly.

Post pics of the breaks. If it's just welded, the result will be a butt joint - not the strongest. Replacing a small section with lap joints will be better. The better the fit of the joints the stronger the result. Don't expect the muffler shop to prep it. You also might want to consider a gusset in that area since it's getting welded up anyway.

Inspect each weld on the bike, especially the chainstays (the bottom tubes going to the axle). Remember that paint hides a lot.

Is this a Point Beach?

Good luck.

Ted

Umm I hate to not agree with everyone else...but i would try the jb weld anyways I mean when Had my license I jbwelded my blow off valve onto the flange and the flange to the pipe cuz it didn't seal properly (the flange was cut wrong by the cnc designer after 1 small tack weld breaking on me on the piping. to cause a major boost leak. I just grinded off the entire weld clamped it down coated both sides with jb weld let it cure for 32 hours smoothed the inside. and it held 30psi on a nice big 20g turbo. i've also jbweld an aluminum frame bracket for a seat in a car that was cracked...just if u do it make sure u clamp it as much as possible!

I don't think so stealthc9

Umm I hate to not agree with everyone else...but i would try the jb weld anyways I mean when Had my license I jbwelded my blow off valve onto the flange and the flange to the pipe cuz it didn't seal properly (the flange was cut wrong by the cnc designer after 1 small tack weld breaking on me on the piping. to cause a major boost leak. I just grinded off the entire weld clamped it down coated both sides with jb weld let it cure for 32 hours smoothed the inside. and it held 30psi on a nice big 20g turbo. i've also jbweld an aluminum frame bracket for a seat in a car that was cracked...just if u do it make sure u clamp it as much as possible!

we need to remember that our bicycle frames are supporting a lot of weight which is compounded when we go over bumps

thus I weight around 200 lbs
considering that some of my weight would also be over the forks
let's say this broken part of the frame -- now JB welded is holding 140 lbs
then over bumps in the road that becomes 175 lbs
back and forth back and forth -- that's what breaks JB
JB weld will not hold up to this
and if we think about total failure of a frame at let's say 25 mph
no way should we let someone try that

I love JB weld -- but - not for repair of frames

ride that thing

Back