can the small gear be taken off without the puller tool because it keeps stripping

dotcom

Local time
4:50 AM
Hi, Im wondering if there is another way to remove the small sprocket without the puller tool that comes with the chinese kits. I tried with 2 pullers and they keep getting stripped. Here is a picture of the part im trying to remove

Attachments

• lkdshf.jpg
    lkdshf.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
not really - those tools are pretty soft, but if kept clean and threaded all the way in, will usually work

I occasionally will use a thread file on them too to keep the threads clean & sharp.

sorry I meant the small sprocket and not gear. Anyway, here is a picture of the part im trying to remove

Attachments

• lkdshf.jpg
    lkdshf.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 238
Sometimes the gear puller threads are not manufactured properly. The solution is to purchase another gear puller; allowing the tool to thread all the way into the 10 tooth output shaft sprocket.
Because it uses a fine thread, it's easy to cross-thread the tool into the sprocket; making it much more difficult to thread a new puller tool into the partially damaged sprocket threads, if that has been the case.

It's the one kind of f*#kup that you really want to avoid, should you have previously cross-threaded the tool into the sprocket.

No real way of easily getting around the problem without using the gear puller tool and without (potentially, and especially if you are a newbie) creating damage to the output shaft and/or the output shaft bearings.

yes i think i have totally f'd the threads on this one and no puller tool will work. Is it possible to get some kind of clamp system on it and knock it off with a hammer?

The other option is to force the output shaft out of the engine case from the clutch side of the engine.

The clutch will need to be removed, then the output shaft can be forced out. It's not a problem if you know what you are doing, but if you are a newbie, there's a good chance the process will end in tears.

but

this is the output shaft that you'll need to press-out of the engine case:

Last edited:
if you don't want to pull the shaft, you may be able to cut a bolt real short and put it into the hole with a washer on it, then use that as a push-point for a two or three jaw gear puller

Back