can u install an engine on a bicycle with 700c wheels?

Lol!

hahaha lol what size wheel do u reccomend ? i will be riding over europe in it!

Why wouldn't you be able to install an engine on a bike with 700c rims??

Why choose a 700c wheel/tire over a 29er wheel/tire, tho?? :) The 29er would have more cushion for the pushin' of a long ride!

I would LOVE to motorize my 29er, but I absolutely LOVE it for pedaling, so I might just get a spare 29er to motorize. :cool:

I'm in the middle of motorizing my Genesis Onyx 29er. Haven't decided how I'll do it yet, but I'm leaning towards using a rear friction drive so as to avoid all the possible issues associated with a center mount direct drive.

Its just a question of torque in my mind. You know how much torque you need to turn that 29 inch tire? A lot.
29er vs. 26" -- will be about the same as changing a rear sprocket from 40teeth to 36teeth. (about 3 mph gain in top speed)
Torque..... that's what pedals are for. :D

I'm in the middle of motorizing my Genesis Onyx 29er. Haven't decided how I'll do it yet, but I'm leaning towards using a rear friction drive so as to avoid all the possible issues associated with a center mount direct drive.
IMO, friction drive will work really well on a 29er. (no change in top speed)

Keep in mind though - a 700c has a long spokes, so day one you've got to have an alternative sprocket mounting method. As well, be sure you can get a throttle grip over the horns.

My dream bike is to get another old school Peugeot 700c touring bike and motor it up. Super light frame, gigantic wheels, much higher PSI in the tires - so less drag, and the tube frame would accept a china girl perfectly. Then a shift kit and it's golden. Plus, with the old school touring bikes, you have your gears on the stem - that'd be a blast shifting through with a shift kit.

700c x 35
the ragjoint sprockets mount okay.... as long as it's 36 spokes.

I have a Diamondback parkway....similar to this,
diamondback-parkway.jpg

IMO, friction drive will work really well on a 29er. (no change in top speed)

That's what I'm thinking as well. My only gripe with friction drives is that IMO they look kinda dorky. So once I manage to get over that hurdle, it'll be friction drive all the way. ;)

@sae3dkhan - There have been a number of 700c build threads in the past and at least 2 going on currently. Google "motorized bicycle 29er" and you should find them.

Last edited:
Back