Can you buy crank seals locally? Like at an auto parts store?

Freddy Snottgrass

Local time
6:01 AM
So I am planning on having to replace the crank seal under the magneto. Can I buy those at like a autozone or other parts store? Maybe an industrial supply place? Will I be able to use identifying markings on the old one (if there are any) to get compatible parts? Or do I need to order one from the myriad of specialty dealers? Thats what I get for getting the cheapest kit on eBay. I haven't taken it apart yet, hopefully I can just push it back in, HA!

I was able to tap my seal in and get it seated. Hopefully it lasts a while. The engine has less than 2 hours runtime since new and the seal looked like it was in good condition. I could see (I wish I took pictures) where the oil was spraying out from the seal and onto the housing where it wasn't fully seated.

Run it & see how it acts, them seals are common to pop out, I just tap them back in using a deep well socket. I've had new engines where they were not installed all the way.

If you can find a bearings and drives store they may be able to help, it depends on who works there. NAPA seems to have more experienced people here, they may help as well. You will need the old seal in hand at either, I have the size somewhere But don’t recall where that info is.

Yeah its hard to find a good ole parts guy anymore? If they cant tap it into computer your not going to get it. Yeah I got measurements somewhere as well.

So I am planning on having to replace the crank seal under the magneto. Can I buy those at like a autozone or other parts store? Maybe an industrial supply place? Will I be able to use identifying markings on the old one (if there are any) to get compatible parts? Or do I need to order one from the myriad of specialty dealers? Thats what I get for getting the cheapest kit on eBay. I haven't taken it apart yet, hopefully I can just push it back in, HA!
You should buy one of the magneto side steel seal covers. It will eliminate the seal popping out. This seller is one of the best vendors in the MB world. I trust them, and have never had a single problem with their wares that couldn't be handled in a friendly manner that left both parties happy.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back