Can you fix a bent Mag Wheel

Your betting your life on a damaged STAR brand, BBR 3 spoke rim...Just like mag rims on a car are usually not considered safe after a crash, likewise on a motorised bicycle even more so...After a crash there will be microscopic fractures compromising the integrity of the metal used in the mag rim.

When i used to do Motor Vehicle Safety Inspections quite a few years ago in New Hampshire, if there was any damage or evidence of damage whatsoever, to mag wheels installed on any car or motorcycle, it was an immediate "inspection fail" for safety reasons codified by Motor Vehicle Laws and Motor Vehicle Inspection Safety Regulations.

They cannot be straightened or repaired...my advice, buy a replacement...Do Not Use...DAMIEN

Ps...What did you crash into that caused such a bend in the mag???
I crashed into a tire of a big SUV going 30mph. The car wasn't damaged. But you also talk like the STAR brand BBR3 isn't great, so what would you advise would be good wheels to have instead.

An excerpt taken from the article linked below: This applies to any rim, car, boat trailer, plane, bike, etc.

Depending on impact, you could also have damaged /bent axle and or bearing damage as well.
And I'm guessing that the Mag Wheels I have are made of an alloy. So it wouldn't be safe to repair it.

But you also talk like the STAR brand BBR3 isn't great, so what would you advise would be good wheels to have instead.
I was only pointing out that your particular rim is manufactured by STAR...They make mag rims for other types of vehicles as well.

My recommendation to just get a new rim is based on common sense and experience with ANY make of rim...DAMIEN

so what would you advise would be good wheels to have instead.
Im running the exact same wheels you are because they ARE a good mag wheel, at least better than most of the bicycle mags ive seen...You were just unfortunate to hit something that would have bent and warped ANY bicycle rim was all...lol...here is mine in pics below...seeing is believing...lol...DAMIEN

Ps...I would not hesitate to buy these again...I have a few hundred miles on them right now and they are straight and true for on road riding...I would never use them for off roading though.

Attachments

• IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 134
Im running the exact same wheels you are because they ARE a good mag wheel, at least better than most of the bicycle mags ive seen...You were just unfortunate to hit something that would have bent and warped ANY bicycle rim was all...lol...here is mine in pics below...seeing is believing...lol...DAMIEN

Ps...I would not hesitate to buy these again...I have a few hundred miles on them right now and they are straight and true for on road riding...I would never use them for off roading though.
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll try to find another front wheel like these.

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll try to find another front wheel like these.
Just ask the folks at bikeberry if you can buy one separately because you had an accident...They used to sell them separately at onetime, maybe they still do...DAMIEN

Toll Free: (800) 317-0479

Back