can you hook these to a nexus three-speed?

eflow

Local time
7:10 AM
Can't get a definitive answer on whether these kits will work with a nexus three-speed coaster brake rear hub. Someone, anyone, please help!

HI,

Yes, BUT you will need a jackshaft to get the power to the right side....SBP shifter kit will take care of all that for you....Only concern may be durability of the hub BUT others have used a Stumey Archer hub (similar hub) without problem.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and ride safely.

Andrew

The shifter kit will work with the hub, but it will not work with a coaster brake because of the front freewheel.

Good Point Pablo....I missed the part about the Coaster brake! ;-0

eflow - You'll have to mount a caliper type brake for the rear wheel....depends on the bike you have but this is generally not a major biggie to do...just a little extra cost unless you happen to have a bike for spare parts around.

Andrew

I think eflow might be asking if the sprocket will mount in the normal fashion, to the 3 speed hub. (opposite side from the pedal sprocket.)
he asked here too.... http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=16773

Older 3-speed hubs are usually larger in diameter, with a larger dustcover.
i am not familiar with the nexis 3-speed . anyone have a pic? or a link?

it is possible that the kit sprocket's center hole might need to be enlarged.

The jackshaft idea looks like an interesting solution, for getting easier pedal starts and higher speeds. Right now I am doing 32mph max and the engine is screaming to beat the band. With the jackshaft I assume you can control your rpms better, what will I expect with the Jackshaft, for a new max speed?? Any guesses?

Tim

Max speed? You will be limited by engine power before gear ratio. Modify your engine a bit and 40+mph is possible.

32 mph should be very easy cruising speed.

You know, I just may get a different rear wheel, sounds like a single speed is by far the easiest to work with. Maybe a workman with a drum brake? I am just trying to stick with a simple oppisite side of the drive sprocket set-up(first project and all).

this in my current ride. first time build,49cc pocket bike engine 55 plus mph

Attachments

• dscf1592.jpg
    dscf1592.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 185
  • dscf1593.jpg
    dscf1593.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 202
  • dscf1596.jpg
    dscf1596.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 241
Back