Can you make a 150+cc Honda ruckus legal?

Will'smotobikes19

Is there any major things you have to do for a gy6 swap? I’m assuming a class M is needed. Also is the stretch required to do a 150cc swap? I think it would be a cool and more realistic project. Motonosity got a plate for his so I’d say it’s possible.

D.J.

I was told that in Arizona the Ruckus would have to be registered under a salvage title and it would also have to be registered and insured as a motorcycle, after a safety inspection. It appeared that Motonosity did not tell the DMV of the engine swap. He got the plate for his 50cc Ruckus from the original dealer. I don't know that he did this for sure, it is just what appeared to happen and he never spoke of a new registration.

B

Bike4life1

Is there any major things you have to do for a gy6 swap? I’m assuming a class M is needed. Also is the stretch required to do a 150cc swap? I think it would be a cool and more realistic project. Motonosity got a plate for his so I’d say it’s possible.
A new metal nameplate that says 49cc should do.

wheelbender6

Depends on which state you are in. If the original 50cc Ruckus was titled in Texas, then you can register the 150cc version in Texas. The serial no on the frame is the one that matters.
-I lost interest in the Ruckus engine swap when they began selling the 150cc Ruckus clones, like the Icebear.

Last edited:

FNTPuck

You can make anything legal depending on where and how you register it.

As for the GY6 swap, it seems it is a common swap on the Ruckus and can be done with mostly off the shelf kits and parts. Quick google and this is one of the first results, tons of swap parts: https://www.drowsports.com/bikes/honda-ruckus-parts/gy6-swap/ . They even have full kits with motor and everything if you wanna spend $1500 on a ruckus for some reason https://www.drowsports.com/drowsports-honda-ruckus-gy6-swap-kit-for-non-fatty/

JerboaJohn

isn't there a title co. in Minnesota that everyone uses around the country to get/push titles thru by just pay the fee?

wheelbender6

In Texas, you can hire a Surety Bond company to do the title legwork. Usually cheaper to do it yourself.

Spare_Parts

isn't there a title co. in Minnesota that everyone uses around the country to get/push titles thru by just pay the fee?
Lot of hot rodders and 4x4 guys use something like that. Not sure what state but MN. sounds right. I could search for it but.....