Can you make any money selling bikes locally?

Fletch

Local time
12:39 AM
Hey,

I'm curious to know what kind of luck others have had assembling and selling these bikes locally for extra income? I'm out of work right now with lots of time on my hands, but I don't know if it would be worth all the time involved, and potential for things to go wrong? It would seem that anyone buying the bikes would need basic mechanical knowledge and tools in order to maintain the engine. I'm not looking to get rich, but some extra cash would be nice.

The 3g's look like they would be a **** of a lot faster/easier to assemble, but of course the bike would be much more expensive.

Thanks

I do not sell motorized bikes & advise anyone thinking about it to look into all the liabilities, safety issues , poor motor quality , service after the sale, stocking parts, overhead costs , etc., etc.

I do, however, pick up a few non-motorized bikes that I flip for a little profit. Bicycle transportation in this area is a hot market. Check your area by looking over the asking/selling prices of bikes on www.Craigslist.com . See if there is demand for a certain " type " bike. Road bikes, antique/vintage , & vintage English bikes are wanted in many areas. You won't get rich , but I can make a few hundred $ per month at times..

I do not sell motorized bikes & advise anyone thinking about it to look into all the liabilities, safety issues , poor motor quality , service after the sale, stocking parts, overhead costs , etc., etc.

I do, however, pick up a few non-motorized bikes that I flip for a little profit. Bicycle transportation in this area is a hot market. Check your area by looking over the asking/selling prices of bikes on www.Craigslist.com . See if there is demand for a certain " type " bike. Road bikes, antique/vintage , & vintage English bikes are wanted in many areas. You won't get rich , but I can make a few hundred $ per month at times..

Esteban,

Hey thanks for the tip man, I'll check it out.

I think that is good advice.

you know I have had a few people inquire about buying one of my bikes from me. When I tell them 5-800 bucks they say 200 that barley covers a motor now days..I have offered to build people a bike for 3-400, then they expect to get the one I spent 600 on and many hours for that price.Its more viable to build peddle bikes or mopeds..atleast you dont have to worry about a law suite with a peddle or moped.

I agree with others that selling assembled motorized bikes are a no go. I personally lost about $5k trying that route in a state (NJ) that cant figure out what these should be classified as. Stick to selling a sealed kit for profit or do as others (and myself) are doing. Just flip cheap/Free bikes for a few $$. Otherwise its not worth the headache from people that are out to blame you for their purchase. Good Luck!

And check to see if they can be street legal in your locality BEFORE forging ahead if you do decide to sell an assembled kit..:geek:

Thanks for all the advice. I've pretty much come to the same conclusion that it just isn't worth it. On a completely unrelated note... There is a Schwinn Jaguar on CL today for $130 "firm". I could use a good bile for my next build, and I'm guessing that this can't be the Wal Mart/Target version of the Jag for that price? Does anyone know what the Jag sells for at a bike store where it is most likely much higher quality? I probably won't act on it but I'm curious.

I've built a few. only to people I know. I still make them sign a waver.
when asked I make them buy the bike & kit themself. & charge $125.-150 to built it for them. no real money to be made
mikey

It seems like there are some people selling bikes locally and I've seen at least one picture of someone's shop. I really think a web based drop and ship company like spooky is the only way to make any money besides on mods or aftermarket 'creations'. I ordered a bike and found it on Sears afterward. Could have saved a lot of money. You live and learn though. If you made your own bikes then that would be a different story. I see some vendors with all black bikes that I'm guessing are just repainted retail bikes. I don't even know the legalities involved with doing that and not disclosing the original manufacturer?

Back