Can you remove this ring ??

michael whiteman

Local time
9:00 PM
Talking about a 4 stroke with a BGF belt drive trany. The black steel ring attached to the edge of the large pulley kisses the clutch bell. Has anyone removed just the one in the rear with no ill affects ? Will the belt continue to track properly, or does it have a tendency to to run off the edge ? I saw an old post from 2008 but the guy was not very descriptive and is probably long gone now.

I filed the lip away that was angled toward the bell, which helped a little but not completely. I think another washer will be needed to remedy this. I don't expect anyone to reply to this thread because after taking a closer look at the teeth on the large pulley I think they are attached to the black side rails. I believe this is a separate piece that is pressed onto the pulley casting. If you wanted to remove one side you would have to cut that rail off on a lathe leaving the portion under the teeth and the front rail. The more I look at this transmission the more disappointed I become thinking with just a little more thought this could have been so much better.

I filed the lip away that was angled toward the bell, which helped a little but not completely. I think another washer will be needed to remedy this. I don't expect anyone to reply to this thread because after taking a closer look at the teeth on the large pulley I think they are attached to the black side rails. I believe this is a separate piece that is pressed onto the pulley casting. If you wanted to remove one side you would have to cut that rail off on a lathe leaving the portion under the teeth and the front rail. The more I look at this transmission the more disappointed I become thinking with just a little more thought this could have been so much better.
If you post a picture with your queries, you will probably get a response. Even if it's just, "That's effed!".

This thread was pretty much directed to those who are actually are aware of or dealing with this issue. I felt my description of this was really clear and required no picture. I'm sure they know what I'm talking about.

I finally had enough so I grabbed the inner black steel ring on the large pulley with some vise grips and removed it. Wiggle it back and forth and it will come right off, it's a press on fit. The teeth are actually machined into the casting which surprised me. I thought it was a separately applied component. Now I have the clearance I need and the belt tracks perfectly without the ring.

No sand flea's or great sloths were hurt in the process of fixing this alignment issue. Some feelings may have been, and a few fingers, but the sand fleas an great sloths are just fine.

Back