Canadian Guy Here Introducing Himself

Canadian Biker

Local time
3:02 AM
Hello my name is Matt and I am from Alberta Canada.

I have mountain biked as a child, and loved it. I rode on the park pathways all through Calgary. I loved going off-road and downhill. I broke a few bones in doing so, and I have the scars to prove it. I also skied and worked in the '88 Olympics when they rolled through. I loved riding my bike down the Nakiska Ski Resort Mountain in the summer time.

I had the thought to put a motor on a bicycle numerous years ago. But now found out its become more popular now then ever before. I am thinking about getting back into mountain biking and done a little research on motorizing bicycles. It all seems very cool, my thing is I want it to look stealth and super quiet.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome. Electric is your answer. Look around and there are some amazingly powerfull electric setups now any seems like a less chance of drawing attention. No matter how much muffleing you do to a two stroke it still makes noise, air intake moan, gears meshing, exaust. I have the Sick Bike Parts expansion chamber with the added muffler. The exaust is quiet enough now to hear the intake and gears. Gear noises will be abated by careful grinding and polishing and dry film lube coating them. Add to that the SBP sound dampening material loudest sound will be intake noise and I can live with that. ;)

Thanks

I have looked at a few E-Bike's. I loved their super quietness however the range is so low, plus the cost seems higher from what I have seen. $500+

I have been surfing YouTube trying to get a handle on the noise level of gas bicycles. Their range is only dependant on fuel. And cost is $150. I saw one motorbicycle in downtown Calgary a few days ago. It seemed a little noisey but nothing from what I expected. I guess I expected a 2 stroke dirt bike sound.

I don't mind a little noise. I will have to get a handle on how loud the intake + gears are then go with the Sick Bike Parts stuff.

Would a 4 stroke engine be quieter then a 2 stroke?

Last edited:
Yes, inherently. With a two stroke fireing every time the piston comes to the top and a 4 stroke every other time 4 strokes are naturally quieter. Seems like they build the 4 stroke motors a little thicker, too. Two stroke mufflers leave a little to be desired, mostly all you get is a stinger. Some of the two stroke expansion chambers you can buy don't even have that. All I can say is the SBP expansion chamber with the add-on muffler is pretty quiet. And makes power to boot :)

Hi Canadian Biker!!

Welcome to MBc! Home of many answers, and awaiting your ideas.

General request to all new members.
Please, before posting any questions, do a search. Then READ,READ,READ.
There is a ton of information here. Many of your engine and performance issues in the Garage & Tech/Mech Help have already been covered. Here at MBc we are the home of nearly all MoteredBike questions. If you search and are unable to find your answer, don't hesitate to post your question. Were here for each other! Enjoy! :D
Here's 2 great links to get you started.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=10392
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=31046

If you have any questions feel free to send me a private message.

To Dave and Canadian, the intake sound can be dealt with. Look at what is routinely done with car intakes to quiet them.