Candidate for Friction Drive??

T

Tinker1980

Last winter, there was a tremendous ice storm in Oklahoma. There were trees down everywhere, and over a million people without power.

Long story short, I have a nice chainsaw that I don't use anymore. It's a 42cc poulan 2 stroke. (Any such thing as a 4 stroke chainsaw???) It starts and runs like new, it might have 5 hours on it. Would this be a good engine for use on a rack-mount, friction drive setup, most likely on a Sun EZ-1 or Rans Tailwind recumbent?

There is a centrifugal clutch on the motor, and as near as I can tell, there is no threaded shaft under the clutch - there is a 3/8" shaft sticking out from the center of the weights, and the clutch bell itself has roller bearings in it. The bell looks to be about 3" across or so. What are some good backyard-mechanic type options for this engine, and should a 42cc engine have enough power to move my 200 Lb self?

Thanks for the help!

-Mark

Attachments

• S3010026.JPG
    S3010026.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 316
  • S3010028.JPG
    S3010028.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 309
  • S3010027.JPG
    S3010027.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 312
I understand the urge to build with something on hand, went through that myself. Don't do it! Sell the saw and put the money into a Staton, GEBE, Titan, etc. You will be riding instead of sitting and looking at a problem.

I understand the urge to build with something on hand, went through that myself. Don't do it! Sell the saw and put the money into a Staton, GEBE, Titan, etc. You will be riding instead of sitting and looking at a problem.

kerf - had some second thoughts here after reading your comments.. If I was looking to spend a lot of time in my garage - finding all of my missing tools - and just loving the project - this may be fun - but - this may be a un-wanted test of skills - if I want to ride - which is all this older guy wishes to do today - I WOULD ORDER UP SOMETHING THAT WILL BE READY TO GO SOON.. so that I can - Ride That Thing - Mountainman

kerf - had some second thoughts here after reading your comments.. If I was looking to spend a lot of time in my garage - finding all of my missing tools - and just loving the project - this may be fun - but - this may be a un-wanted test of skills - if I want to ride - which is all this older guy wishes to do today - I WOULD ORDER UP SOMETHING THAT WILL BE READY TO GO SOON.. so that I can - Ride That Thing - Mountainman

I agree with both of these comments. You may have 200.00 bucks and 30 hrs
into it before your done. Heres a great source if you buy. www.staton-inc.com

But Im not discouraging you. I love to invent and tinker. Not knowing you
who am I to wreck a dream LOL. If you get it to work that baby will scream.
You'll have to ease on the gas when starting off, with a friction drive.
Good luck what ever you decide.

Back