Can't figure it out

retromike3

Local time
9:42 PM
I just replaced my old engine with a new Skyhawk 66 and I had to refill my two gallon mixing tank also. I tried to start it yesterday and all I did was get my leg muscles sore. I checked the spark by taking the plug out and laying it on the head. It seems to have a fairly strong spark but, when I try to ride it I I don't even get a pop.

I did mix two gallons with 16 Oz. of 10/40 was that two much?

mike

not even a "pop" from skyhawk

I don't have a clue. I have replaced the CDI and the carb from one that used to work. I removed the gas from the system and remixed my filler tank with 50 percent more high grade gas. I cant seem to get much compression out of the head.

is there something about the gas here in Oregon?

help

mike

Last edited:
You should be using two stroke oil and not 10/40 4 stroke motor oil. They are two completely different formulas. Two stroke oil is made to blend with gas and has the right additives to keep the motor working as it should and regular oil, while mixing with gas just fine, will cause gumming when it seperates out and gets hot and it's just not good for the bearings.

The first time I tried to start my very first happytime . I almost died from exhaustion..
No fuel in the carb..

Turn the petcock off unscrew the bottom of the carb.
Turn the petcock on. Is fuel running out.
If yes then
Remove the jet and look through it. Is it clogged.
Remove the air cleaner and look at the throttle slide as you twist the throttle.
The slide can jam or be installed backwards and not open at all.
Put everything back together.
You already checked for a spark.
Finally is the clutch adjusted right .. Are you actually turning the engine over

1 there was fuel in the carb & motor.I replaced the carb that came with the engine with one that worked before,just in case and I took the carb apart and it had gas in the bottom. The spark plug also had gas on it when I took it out.

2 I have spark in the new and old spark plug.

3 I have been able to turn the motor over with the new clutch cable and lever(in fact my legs are sore from riding around the block:eek:)I hear the chug,chug,chug of the motor kicking over. and there is a noticeable difference when I engage the clutch.

sigh, mike

Last edited:
update:

well my dad came over with his weedeater and we put the gas I had mix in it. took a little wile but it took off and ran like a champ. He suggested that the timing must be off because I got spark from the engine.

Next question how do I change the timing?

Remove the covers and check that everything is in place. There have been many recent problems with woodruff keys on newer motors. Use "wood ruff key" for the key words in the search engine and it should bring up plenty of info.

Also, would you like me to modify your title? Someone who could help might not even read the thread when it is that vague.

timing is not "really" adjustable on these. (there will be posts telling how to do it.....but they are not easily adjustable like a car engine.)

Last edited:
Hi Retro -

This may be a fluke, a strange coincidence, but I read a thread from a year ago with the very same symptoms. It appears Spad4ne covered it: It turned out not to be fuel mixture, but rather, the carburator idle pin would not lift off the seat of the carb jet when the throttle was twisted. It turned out the throttle cable was disconnected at one end. Motion of this pin can be easily seen if the air filter is removed and you look down the carb intake throat. I hope this helps.

Back