Can't find anything so I try here: legal light kit?

NssOne

Local time
11:53 PM
Anything out there like this? I'm looking for something maybe regulated by a small battery or something? Well, just trying to find my options out there. Thanks in advance.

Do you mean lights that are legal for riding a bike after dark?

I suppose there'll be some variation by location, but most places mandate a white light up front visible from so many feet away. I don't even remember; maybe 200 feet or something like that. Most places don't even require a light at the rear, just reflectors.

I've never given the matter much thought because I figure that almost any light is going to be visible over the required range. I also double up my lights, front and rear. I do it because I want to be visible much farther than just the legal requirements and in order to have some backup if one light fails.

So I'd just make sure that your lights are better than most bikes you see out there and you ought to be just fine.

Is that what you were getting at?

Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific. I was thinking some kind of kit along the lines of a DOT legal light kit with blinkers and whatnot. Been trying to find out of if anyone makes something along those lines.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3631

That's as good as it gets AFAIK. I bought one but haven't gotten around to installing it as I rarely ride at nighttime anyway.

A good LED flashlight, like the Fenix L2D Q5 from www.4sevens.com , is what's most important. Reflectors and a bright colored helmet are good enough for other people to see you... but you seeing a 4+ inch thick branch in the road that will flip you ever so quickly is FAR more important, IMHO.

Hrm, yeah, I've seen those around. I will probably end up with something like that then have to take it apart and modify it to work with my project then. Thanks for the input.

Back