Can't get bike over 23MPH

I don't think this is a joke at all to be fair no offense @DAMIEN1307 but cheese & crackers, how many people have died from that? Does anyone even know? it's a serious f***ing problem. Who wants to take their chances flying 10ft in the air at 30 mph? Not me. I've had my fair share of automotive accidents (not many, maybe like 3) and that was bad enough. If I had been on an MB for any of those i'd be dead. Everytime I ride over 30mph which is basically everytime I understand the risk of being f***ing dead. Those fenders increase that risk by quite a bit.
Nothin' to do with fenders, but I rode dirt bike since I was 13 and if you weren't flying 10 feet, you weren't riding hard enough. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

And why would I take any offense???...You are only amplifiying what I have previously stated on this subject to just get rid of those fenders before they break off...lol.
Not offense to you. I agree 100%.

Nothin' to do with fenders, but I rode dirt bike since I was 13 and if you weren't flying 10 feet, you weren't riding hard enough. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
In my young days, I started out riding dirt bikes in enduro races etc...I never had fenders on those bikes and could still go flying over the bike to eat a little dirt every so often...lol.

IF you decide to keep the fenders, you must reinforce them around their mounting holes with large fender washers or the like at the very least. At least those particular ones use solid bars for the struts rather than the crummy thin sheet metal like on some. Those will hold up better in that regard, but at the very least beef up the mounting locations some.

I don't disagree but of a lot of us here aren't in that space. I tried that s**t when I was young and knew I would probaby die doing it which is why I stopped pursuing it. MBs are as close as i can come to having fun with it with almost no risk. I'm an automotive / car type of guy but I enjoy the MBs for that reason. Can't do motorcycles or dirtbikes cause I know I'd probably end up dead.

In My young days, I started out riding dirt bikes in enduro races etc...I never had fenders on those bikes and could still go flying over the bike to eat a little dirt every so often...lol.
That has to happen, it's part of dirt bike riding. My dirt bike these days don't even have gears. Just a TAV, super fun though.

those particular ones use solid bars for the struts rather than the crummy thin sheet metal like on some. Those will hold up better in that regard, but at the very least beef up the mounting locations some.
Did you see those pics and read that story of what happened to one guy on that link I posted on reply #158???...If not here it is again...lol.

Click this one for even more pics of fenders induced damage and injury.

Did you see those pics and read that story of what happened to one guy on that link I posted on reply #158???...If not here it is again...lol.

Of course removing them would be best....that's why emphasized "IF"

I don't know what the exact failure mode of that persons fender was to say exactly why it failed, but I do know there are things you can do to minimize it IF you must keep them.

Obviously, you can beef them up to the point where there would be essentially zero issue at all. There have been many many many bikes of various types and similar, yet perfectly safe and usable fenders over the decades. They are of course made to handle the abuse, which can be achieved with these stock bike fenders also.

The point again is IF you must keep them, beef them up, and use more appropriate fasteners that will not come loose. Using them in stock form is asking for trouble.

And yes, the bar struts are less likely to break and get caught than the thin sheet metal ones like on the cranbrook which break just looking at them.

You must also do your due diligence in doing your pre-flights. Check the stuff out before you go on a ride and make sure nothing is loose.

Looked at his pics again. The struts did not fail. They are intact, and still attached to the dropouts.... just wrapped around the hub. Looks like the rear of his fender got snagged on the tire and got pulled around. Appears to have had nothing to do with the struts.

The exact reasons these things fail matters. You cant simply say they do, in some way, so don't use them.

use more appropriate fasteners that will not come loose
I have never had the fastener hardware loosen up...The retainer tabs the bolts go through on the fender is what always breaks due to vibration and harmonics, The metal tabs are not strong enough.The struts never let loose but the fender will let you go for a ride if you don't spot it though.....I even reinforced mine and it was still not enough for most of these cheaply made fenders they are putting out these days, hence the reason why I just eliminate them altogether now...lol.

Back