Can't use a Gebe drive ring on 20" wheel?

That's the ticket. I like the idea of getting some distance between my ears and the motor too. Thank you.

Improvised Spoke ring, 20" wheel

I'm not sure I'm too hot on the idea of plastic. That does give me a good idea of the diameter. Do you think a ring could be fabbed from a smaller diameter rim? I guess I'm asking about the width of the belt, and how far into the spokes the ring should go. Perhaps 2 rims married together? Just blue sky thinking here. If I'm going to ride it to Ocean Park, it'll need to be sturdy/reliable.

GEBE rings

I don't know about 29 inch tires, but I do know this.
I bought the kit in feburary and have been running it hard.
The guys at the shop are excellent help but its not really user friendly. After the truck hit me the belt would not track at all and no matter what I tried (twisting thew rack , moving it up and down on the axel, washers under the bolts trying to change the angle) nothing worked. That was the first 10 mile hike i hade to take pushing the bike home. I bought thier wheel along with the kit and I guess I was too hard on it even though I dont off road it or anything other running it hard on the streets, becase it is trashed now. I had an extra 36 spoke wheel here and am, trying to put thier ring on and no luck! So I went looking for a new wheel and found one at REIs and was going to buy it and then remembered it couldn't have a quick disconnect. So I had the bike shop guy put the old axel from GBEs wheel into the new wheel , after walking home 4 miles to get the old wheel!!! well, luckly they were open yesterday and i walked up there and picked the wheel up and brought it home, thinking all right i will have my only transpo back tomorrow. NO LUCK!!!:(((( The ring doesnt fit on the new wheel either so i called thier shop and they swear it will fit on any 36 spoke wheel but I am SO STUPID I cant fit it on this one either..,. Looks like I will need to order a new wheel and ring from them for another 125+. You know I love this thing when it is running but I tell you what. You got to be an expert in bike and engineering to keep it running. So far a new rack and belt, (that took 3 weeks to get here). and now a new wheel and ring.:((((((

Bamabikeguy has posted some real good info about rings and how he mounts them. I don't know how hard he rides. There's also at least one very good site on the net about building your own wheels. Just google Lacing Wheels.
Hope you get it ironed out.
When gas gets REALLY expensive, you may be thankful that you became an expert in bike engineering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Alaska,
If you do use a 20" steel rim, instead of using the rusty thick coat hangers, get your self a roll or can of the thin guage stainless steel and a fencing wire twist tool. You won't be sorry.
Man I miss Petersberg, Alaska.
Go look at your **** glaciers!
I'm jealous!
Hey you want to see a million pictures of corn fields?:LOL:

The old Master Baitor.
(you dirty minded people).:censored:
My brother and I worked as baitors on a Halibut boat in Alaska .:p
Ride on!
Doc

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Doc
Sounds like a good idea, I'll keep my eyes open for some stainless wire.

Van

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 317
Alaska, maybe a 16" rim, spoke mounted with some fabricated brackets ;like whizzer uses? Or perhaps the 16 outer circumference would match the inner circumference of the 20, hmmm, hmmm? Interesting!!

I think a 16 inch rim sounds about right. Doubt I'll find one in aluminum, steel would have to do. Not certain I will pursue this method on the trike, but it's good to have the knowledge. I feel confident that If I do go this way, I can make it work. Thank you all for all your input.

Back