Carby Carb and choke questions

preston

Local time
8:12 AM
so, these may be a bit noobish questions, but i know someone here will have the experience to help me out.

so my bike starts and runs fine with the choke all the way open, and i can get it to idle with it partly closed.

however, if i close it too much, even under throttle (with the engine warm), it stalls on me.
also, there is more power the further open the choke is.

is it bad to run it for too long with the choke open? i thought that i was supposed to be able to get it fully closed...

also, i have a 66cc motor with the allegedly 'upgraded' carb. the instructions say that open is with the lever in the up position, and closed is in the down position.

someone suggested that mine is reversed.... it is installed the right direction, (to the best i know) as the primer button is on the left with the idle adjust, and the choke lever on the right.

Last edited:
is it the cns carb with th e handlebar mouted choke lever.
i had problems with mine.
also check for air leaks. i had one in the intake manifold gasket.
hope this helps.
thanks,
cody

interesting, thanks.

i dont have the handlebar mounted choke, it is a small lever on the actual unit.

i couldnt see any leaks, but i'll check again.

is there any reason that it would be a bad idea to leave the choke wide open? it seems like i get better power and response, and the engine does not seem to be running rough either.

interesting, thanks.

i dont have the handlebar mounted choke, it is a small lever on the actual unit.

i couldnt see any leaks, but i'll check again.

is there any reason that it would be a bad idea to leave the choke wide open? it seems like i get better power and response, and the engine does not seem to be running rough either.

try replacing intake gaskets. you can buy gasket material sheets for cheap.
thats what i did. ive heard of people spraying something on it and if it makes the engine rev up then you have a leak. i think it was starter fluid or someething. some1 will post what it is im sure.

but it shouldnt hurt your engine to run it on choke if its not reving up or anything. i know with my yamaha big wheel 350 dirt bike you have to ride with the choke out for about a mile before it wil run with it off. but its a 4 stroke and weve been doing that for 4 years and my uncle said he had to do that ever since he got it and its about 19 years old.

Wait, I'm confused. What do you mean by "wide open" A choke should always be run "open" or "off", that is, not obstructing the air flow when operating normally. Is that what you mean? You should only have the choke "on" or "closed" for a cold start.

Are we using the same language here?

"open" or "off"- choke letting all the air in

"closed" or "on"- choke blocking most of the air.

you need to have the choke on (pin hole metal slide covering the carb inlet) for priming the motor, then move it to about 1/2 choke. Then when it warms up (or stalls out) move the choke to off (no obstruction to the inlet...the metal slide is out of the way)

If you dont know what i mean, pop off the air cleaner cover.. you will understand.

This issues seems resolved but for future readers.....
For my carb I simply raise the choke about 10-15% until my motor is warmed up, approximately 1 minute then I lower it all the way down. After some trial & error this suits me find but since varying factors play a role on what's best for your motor just make several adjustments till you find what suits you best.

Back