Carby Carb help

L

Lex

Hey guys!
Absolute noob to carbed 2 strokes here. Used to own an R6, had to sell it because my rooomates (a couple) decided they wanted to disappear on me and I wanted to get back on two wheels for the low $ and found out that there is a huge cult for these types of things (thank goodness). Built a few v8’s, one fuel injected one carbed but my uncle did the tuning on the carb so i am by no means very familiar with them. As you can tell I’m a younger fella.
Anyways the purpose of this thread is because I’m struggling with the carb tuning and that uncle isn’t nearby anymore to lend a hand. I’ve been flipping through these forums and learned a lot but am struggling to find an answer to some questions.
Background: i am just past the break in period where a lot of guys said don’t mess with the mixture and don’t mess with the carb tuning just yet. So i did exactly that.
Well now I’m trying to tune it and it’s kicking my a**.
I got the throttle cable adjusted right to where it fully closes and fully opens.
I understand there are 3 methods of tuning: idle screw for idle and very low rpms, jet for 1/4-3/4 throttle, and needle with adjustable c-clip for 3/4+.
Scenario: the idle is very very touchy, i have it in the range right now where if i either turn it just 1/8 turn CW it vibrates like crazy and idles really high, and 1/8 the other way it bogs threatening to stall. Where it’s at right now still doesn’t seem like a nice smooth idle, kinda pings a little bit.
Mid throttle it sometimes 4strokes i think but it’s quiet, not a loud healthy combustion every other cycle.
Wide open throttle seems to surge and cut surge and cut very consistently.
Overall it runs decently and I’m honestky impressed with how fun this little thing is.

It seemed to run more and more rich as it broke in, not the opposite. I get anywhere from 75-90mpg

Also, not super important yet but I’d love to be able to take off from a dead stop but still hit 40 like i am right now with the 36t sprocket, If i can do so without the jackshaft/shifter that would be awesome, if not I’ll deal with the pedaling for now haha.

I’m on the east coast right at sea level, it’s average 85-95 degrees right now and been raining off and on for the past week. I use the bike for a 2.5 mile commute to work 4/5 days a week if it’s not downpouring.

Actually- you got some things wrong.

C-Clip- to 3/4
Main jet- 3/4+

If you move the C-Clip up, it will lean out from 0/4 to 3/4

These engines run a bit rich, if it 4 strokes, you are running a little rich. You could also just change the oil ratio to fine tune it, but I don't think it's recommended to.

I have a very touchy carb too. It revs to the moon, maybe you have an air leak. Spray WD-40 to where the carb is connected to the intake manifold, and where the intake manifold connects to the engine. If the revs change you have an air leak. You can fix it with Hi-temp silicone (I use the red one)

Ill take it this is a NT carb... Remove the black foam filter and help it breath which wont make it seem to run rich. Only thing that really effects these carbs is your gas/oil mix.. The float being off or your needle clip position and that restrictive black foam filter n cover but a motor can only suck in what it pushes out. Not enough air = rich same with spark an a heavy oil ratio. The float really effect these how these carbs run imo

Back