Carb issues again, come help.

artmaker

Local time
11:04 AM
Hi all,
Ok, it's spring, and as usual, I can't get my ride to fire up. Same problem I seem to have every year. So I'll post some questions, what I did so far, AND mainly I have another carb I bought last year and never used. I was sure the company sent me a 2 stroke model and they would not take it back so I stuck it on a shelf and forgot about it. BUT their site said it was for a 4 stroke and was better.

So... Last year, started by first changing the old gas. NO fire.
Took the carb off, blasted it with carb cleaner, put it all back together, NO fire.
Took it off again, this time more completely took it apart. (First attempt I could not get the bowl off. Got a torque wrench now.)
SOAKED it in carb cleaner, blew dry, re assembled, still no fire.
Bought a brand new carb AND a better spark plug. Not sure which, of those did the trick but it worked, got it running. But by the end of summer it was harder and harder to start up. And now it's spring and nothing. It's not even trying. (however, I did try with last years gas.)

So... I removed the carb, started to disassemble it. For the life of me I cannot remember how to get those gets out. The holes on them are darn near microscopic.
THEN I pulled out that other carb I bought... thinking maybe I should try it? And now I'm stuck. It's totally different. I'm not sure where the throttle goes, or what some little plunger thing does.
Hard to describe so I shot a short video. Have a look... any and all advice is MOST appreciated.

OH... HustonMotorized (they have their own videos) did post a few great suggestions. He said
copy; "I'd offer you drain the tank, remove fuel line and drain float bowl. I keep a spare gas tank around and I'll put some gas w/ stabil in it and connect to carb just to fill carb. Do that every 60 days and you might be good. The additives in gas will gum up and leave a lot of junk in carb bowls. Freezing temps don't help either"

So... how do I just drain the float bowl without removing everything? AND how do I just fill the carb with gas and stabil in it? In an old car we used to just spray starter fluid down the throat. But this is all enclosed.

Hey that button is a kind of primer bulb but its really a "tickler" the thing at the top is to adjust the throttle cable and you can adjust this carb with the idle screw on the side or the c clip setting on the needle inside. That intake should work if you unscrew the clamp the whole way and put some light oil on the o ring. Odd why it won't work. Might be a coil that was starting to go bad because you said it got worse and worse maybe the valves need adjusted.

Hi all,
Ok, it's spring, and as usual, I can't get my ride to fire up. Same problem I seem to have every year. So I'll post some questions, what I did so far, AND mainly I have another carb I bought last year and never used. I was sure the company sent me a 2 stroke model and they would not take it back so I stuck it on a shelf and forgot about it. BUT their site said it was for a 4 stroke and was better.

So... Last year, started by first changing the old gas. NO fire.
Took the carb off, blasted it with carb cleaner, put it all back together, NO fire.
Took it off again, this time more completely took it apart. (First attempt I could not get the bowl off. Got a torque wrench now.)
SOAKED it in carb cleaner, blew dry, re assembled, still no fire.
Bought a brand new carb AND a better spark plug. Not sure which, of those did the trick but it worked, got it running. But by the end of summer it was harder and harder to start up. And now it's spring and nothing. It's not even trying. (however, I did try with last years gas.)

So... I removed the carb, started to disassemble it. For the life of me I cannot remember how to get those gets out. The holes on them are darn near microscopic.
THEN I pulled out that other carb I bought... thinking maybe I should try it? And now I'm stuck. It's totally different. I'm not sure where the throttle goes, or what some little plunger thing does.
Hard to describe so I shot a short video. Have a look... any and all advice is MOST appreciated.

OH... HustonMotorized (they have their own videos) did post a few great suggestions. He said
copy; "I'd offer you drain the tank, remove fuel line and drain float bowl. I keep a spare gas tank around and I'll put some gas w/ stabil in it and connect to carb just to fill carb. Do that every 60 days and you might be good. The additives in gas will gum up and leave a lot of junk in carb bowls. Freezing temps don't help either"

So... how do I just drain the float bowl without removing everything? AND how do I just fill the carb with gas and stabil in it? In an old car we used to just spray starter fluid down the throat. But this is all enclosed.

Pull the Oring. Make sure the new carb is all the way on the new intake. Soak the old ones in berrymans carb cleaner over night then blow out with compressed air.

Hey that button is a kind of primer bulb but its really a "tickler" the thing at the top is to adjust the throttle cable and you can adjust this carb with the idle screw on the side or the c clip setting on the needle inside. That intake should work if you unscrew the clamp the whole way and put some light oil on the o ring. Odd why it won't work. Might be a coil that was starting to go bad because you said it got worse and worse maybe the valves need adjusted.

OOOHHH I forgot about valve adjustment. Had to do that last year too..... Now..... WHERE to find the settings. It's a houshang 4 stroke. (sp?)
Heck, someone posted that last season... might have to do some digging unless you or some other kind person posts it here.

Ok, got work to do on it today. Will post any results.

HEY!!!! VICTORY!
Sounds like s**t BUT.... it's running.

So... the carb was as clean as can be. I have screwdrivers with more crud on them. But I ran a thin wire through the jets and blasted a bit of carb cleaner through anyway. Blew dry, put back. Now... those valves. WOW. Last year, (first time I ever adjusted valves) they were so loose you could have a party under the little rocker arms. But this time? Intake was fine, maybe slightly loose so I adjusted it anyway. But the exhaust side? I couldn't even get the gauge in there. Completely jammed closed. how the heck did that happen? I can see them working loose but self tightening? Anyway, got it right now.
Put in some of my ethanol free gas and it fired right up. Just took a short spin around town.

It's still not right though. I turn the throttle and there is a lag between turning and getting any results. It's like the thing has to say caugh,, huh? You want me to what now? OH GO!!!! zooom.
I THINK my throttle cable might have more play than it should, I'll fuss with that next time.
But that wouldn't account for the lag though. All that does it not give me full throttle. Again I'll tweek that later. It just seems slow on the response time. My old 2 stroke, when you turned the throttle it WENT. Immediately.

There are other tweeks I'm not at all looking forward to. That rear gear sprocket, the kind sandwiched between the spokes, when I last had the rear wheel replaced I asked a bike shop to install that. Big mistake. It's squished more on one side than the other which is making the whole rear wheel seem wobbly. It was fine when I got it back from them. Not sure how it got distorted now. They must not have tightened everything the same. I have another set that came with this motor but I've never done this job myself (yet.) HOPING I can just adjust the one on there. Loosen it all, and start tightening in a star pattern, try to get it right before I start all over.
I don't think I'll be taking any long rides anytime soon. Bike is a tank to push home. And it's easier to push than peddle. So until it's tweaked out more, just spins around town is all I'll do.

So.... any tips on the slow response? Is this typical? Maybe a different setting on the valves? Any fuel additives I might try?
Anything else???

Thanks all, at least I have some wind in my hair again.

so you're saying it won't take the gas immediately? it's too rich. jet down 1 n see or if you have a needle clip, raise it a notch if possible. you're now getting a more accurate shot of air thru the valves, making a tuning issue more noticeable. recheck lash and clean spark plug too
sorry abt the back wheel. get into it yourself, not hard just time consuming!

" jet down 1 n see or if you have a needle clip, raise it a notch if possible."

Ok, please talk to me as if I'm NOT a mechanic.... because I sure am not.
Guessing here, jet down 1 n is that the valve adjustment? OR are you talking about that little screw, I have fiddled with that, doesn't seem to effect throttle to reaction time. Just how well it idols.

What is a needle clip?

I will learn.... be patient with me.

sorry! iwhat just assumed since you had it apart, you might be familiar with the parts. what carb do you have? or take a pic

Back