Carby carb leaking

J

JosephGarcia

the air filter and bottom of the carb, the basket thingy, is leaking ALOT

what do i do?

well take the carb off and tighten the screws up on the bottom if it still leaks then the seal might be bad. and on the fuel line whare it connects to the carb put a zipty around it and tighten it really tight cuz mine used to leak cuz of that.

if it's leaking out the air cleaner, the needle valve may be stuck. turn off your gas valve at the tank & remove the fuel bowl. the needle valve shuts of the fuel to the bowl when the float rises to the top. Sometimes you'll get some grit in there that will prevent the needle from shutting off the gas flow. then gas will overflow & leak everywhere. hope these pics help.....keep us posted.

okay...let's take this puppy apart
59_100_1325_1.jpg

here are a couple views of the brass slide/needle & float/bowl

59_100_1324_1.jpg

59_100_1323_1.jpg

full choke

59_100_1326_1.jpg

no choke

59_100_1327_1.jpg

assembled pic of slide/needle

59_100_1329_1.jpg

cable removed. note the funny slotted washer, must be on top of the needle and clip. this allows the spring to return the needle down.

59_100_1330_1.jpg

here you can see the needle valve assembly.

59_100_1332_1.jpg

thanks to Tom in WV for the following quote:

Think of it as a tiny toilet bowl . when you flush (open the throdel) the float alows more water (fuel) in to replace whats been used. The purpose of the float mechanisem is to keep the toilet from overflow (flooding)It only lets in whats needed as its used up. The toiled is remarkably similar to the carb except that the carb is variable speed and the toilet is all at once. This could be under the heading of "strange but true"

now i really would not dare to take my carb apart.lol i always loose parts

thanks srdavo

i knew it would be worth my time joining this website. in case something went wrong.

thanks also for the pics, helps alot. i have same parts. ill do that right now and see if it helps.

on a side note, it leaks from the gas line, which i should replace, and the bowl, and the airfilter, but when fuel is off no leak at all. if the feul valve is slightly open it leaks like all hell

do you use hose clamps on your fuel line? small zip-ties work. still thinking it's your needle valve. OR......if your float...the donut looking thing ....doesn't float, it won't shut off the fuel either. check your float. It should not have any fuel inside it.

srdavo said:
do you use hose clamps on your fuel line? small zip-ties work. still thinking it's your needle valve. OR......if your float...the donut looking thing ....doesn't float, it won't shut off the fuel either. check your float. It should not have any fuel inside it.

going to check out the float right now. and i used brand new hoses, and i thought it was fine, but i see that the hose right at the carb is loose ish, but thats not the source of the leak, just one of the leaks. fixing that up right now.

thanks everyone for such fast replies, so helpful to a newby

ok everyone, fixed it by flipping the float upside down. advise from the previous owner of the motor

One place that tends to leak on these carbs is the brass fitting that the fuel line connects to on the carb. Take an 8mm wrench and see if it's tightly screwed into the carb body.

Moth

Back