Carby Carberator Replacement.. uhh... where to buy?

taking the old carb off is pretty straightforward. loosen the screw & the nut that are on the clamp holding the carb to the tube. be careful because the screw and the nut are not high quality and you could round off the head of the screw.
now slide the carb. off of the tube. your throttle cable will still be attached to the carb.
you can do one of 2 things.

#1, you can unscrew the top of the carb (the cap where the cable goes into it) and lift out the slide assembly. there will be the cable, a spring, the slide (a cylinder) and a needle. all of these parts will come out together and they will stay together because of the throttle cable.
now you can remove the cap from the new carb, and remove the spring, slide and needle. (they will not stay together because there is no throttle cable) you can take your old slide assembly and slide it back into the new carb. but sometimes an old slide will not work in a new carb due to wear. this is a trial and error thing, but sometimes it works just fine. another thing is that the threads on the old cap may not mesh correctly with the threads on the new carb. again, this is trial and error.
be sure to line up the long slot that's on the slide, with the pin that's inside the carb. on the left side. (look into the carb with the cap off, and you will see the little pin. the slide will go back in 2 different ways, but only one way is correct. you need to make sure that the long slot in the slide lines up with the pin. the short slot in the slide is where the idle screw rests.
tighten the cap by hand and be careful not to cross thread it. once it's on all the way and snug you can GENTLY tighten it a little bit with pliers or channel locks just to be sure that it's tight. it does not have to be torqued on super tight, it just has to be snug so it won't vibrate loose or create an air leak. put the carb back on the intake tube making sure that it's pushed on as far as it can go before tightening the clamp.

#2, you can do the same as above but when you remove the cap from your old carb, you can remove the slide, needle and spring by sliding the throttle cable down and out of the notch that it's in on the slide. you will have to compress the spring with your fingers to get the cable out. after you remove the slide, needle and spring, you can slide the old carb cap off of the cable.
now, you will have to put the new cap, spring, slide and needle back on the cable (in that order) the needle should stay in the slide, but it may come out if you turn the slide upside down. if it does, just slide the needle back into the hole in the slide. the needle will have a horseshoe looking ring sitting on top of it and then the needle will have an "E" clip on one of the slots in it at the top. The horseshoe ring is not connected to anything, so it may fall out....be careful because you need this peice. the slot in the horseshoe looking ring has to line up with where the cable goes in the slide.
you will have to compress the spring with your fingers to get the cable back into the slot in the slide.
look at your old slide assembly before you take it apart and you will see how it needs to go back together.

again, be careful when screwing the carb cap on...the threads are not that good, and it can be cross threaded very easily. i suggest putting the cap and slide assembly on the carb before you install the carb onto the intake tube because you will have more room to work, and it will be easier to do with the carb in your hand.

once it's all back together, slide the fuel line onto the inlet fitting, turn on the gas and check for leaks.
if there's no leaks, take it for a ride.....and it's just that easy.

Last edited:
Ok.

I hooked everything up today..., does the needle (Golden) from end of the throttle cable need to go completely in that hole?

When everythings hooked up, when I push to start, I can start with just the clutch only.. ((Not even touching the throttle))

I think the throttle cables stuck and I didn't hook it up right. I might be missing that horseshoe too, mightve fell out. I still have it

Anyway, did I do anything else wrong, because the throttle got stuck on me on high and it was scary. Don't want it to happen to me again

So again, the throttle on the right is stuck I think, with the lever moving it sometimes if not a all.

more than likely you have the slide in the carb wrong.
if the slide is not inserted correctly (long slot in the slide with the pin in the carb) the slide will stick and bind up, causing it to stick either all the way closed or all the way open.
yes, the cable must seat all the way into the slot that it goes into.
the horseshoe holds the needle from coming out of the slide once it's all assembled.
yes, the needle goes into the hole the bottom of the carb.

it also sounds liek you have your idle screw in too far..but i think thr high revs are because the slide is bound up and stuck.

more than likely you have the slide in the carb wrong.
if the slide is not inserted correctly (long slot in the slide with the pin in the carb) the slide will stick and bind up

Now how would I be inserting it incorrectly?

I tried lubing up the black tube because it is getting stuck and not flowing up and down free and loose.., but rather rugged.

:eek:

I mean everything seems perfect but that black tube in the carburetor like i said, doesn't move freely.

like i said in my original post.....
the slide can go into the carb in several different ways, but only 1 way is correct. line the long slot in the slide up with the pin in the carb and then push the slide in. it should go in smoothly with very little resistance. the pin in the carb is on the left side...on the inside of the carb where the slide goes in.
OR, like i also said in my other post, your old slide MAY NOT WORK in the new carb due to wear issues, and possibly shape/size issues. not all slides are identical even if they come from the same style carbs.
the "black tube" as you call it, is the slide.
so when i say "slide" that is what i am talking about.

it can be inserted incorrectly quite easily actually... i take it you will be surprised to say... a lot of ppl get it wrong.

my only advice, mr fitz, is to do some study.

theres lots of info on carbies.

when you can return and say things like "needle" "jet" *c-clip* "cable outer casing" and know what those words mean, then assisting you will be made much simpler. (maybe even unneccesary)

otherwise, me myself personally am not giving you any advice, considering that motorpsycho has already told you EVERYTHING THAT EVEN AN IDIOT COULD UNDERSTAND. and i think even he grows weary...

theres only one "black tube" i know of and it seems to be the void within your skull....

(****...that was advice...grrr!)

Ok guys, after many attempts, and resistance, this task is not for "AN IDIOT", but a patient man. And I believe I got the throttle right and if not psycho specified the right way

And..

Now something else went wrong. Again. The back tire locked up. Probably the clutch needs to be adjusted

So..., ANOTHER PROBLEM! Again! : D

Love these bikes I gotta tell ya! Their Stats are good for MPG but their reliability.. oh man. :23:

So that is the status update of my bike

Currently the bike is sitting in my shed, with the back tire locked up.

Sidenote: I will say ive learned the mechanics mapping of where things go. Ive tinkered so far
with the Fuel Valve, Fuel Line, and Carburetor along with that goes with the throttle.

Now its probably going to be the actual engine.

Again, this is a person with no mechanical experience really, im learning this with no help from anyone but myself and these forums, and I think im learning pretty fast for a beginner. Bash me if you will, but that carburetor will hurt your hands until you get it right, and your working with small, small pieces for this particular bike.

Last edited:
Back