Carbon build up

I am running 32:1, (4 ounces of oil to one gallon of gas), using 87 octane Ethanol-Free gasoline....(High Octane is only good for high compression motors, these China Girls are not high compression motors.)

Use a quality, 2 cycle full synthetic oil.

I also add just one ounce per gallon of gas, a proven, Octane Booster that actually works without Ethanol added to its formulation.
(This gives it just enough octane boost for a CG motor when using 86 or 87 octane ethanol-free gas). If you can get ethanol-free gas at a higher octane, you will not need the octane booster.

This combo of all three items leaves no carbon or ash build up, no real wear and tear on moving parts.

I do not use "gimmicky" spark plugs, only NGK-BR6HS for Winter time use and NGK-BR8HS for Summer time use gapped at .025 (thousandths).

Just so you know, when the Chinese builders give you a recommended octane rating to use, just like centimeters, (80cc actually being 66cc in the USA), their gas octane levels are of a difference from ours as well...Many people, even most here in the forums, are not aware of a difference in octane rating numbers in most of the world versus the octane number system used here in the USA.

There are two different ways to measure octane rating — Research Octane Number (RON) and Motor Octane Number (MON). The Motor Octane Number, being measured under more stringent conditions, is almost always lower than the RON. The US uses something called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), which is just the arithmetic mean of the RON and the MON, whereas almost everyone else uses just the RON.

If China says use 93 octane, (they are using the RON measuring standard), it is actually 85 to 86 octane by USA standards using the AKI method, (R+M/2) as it is marked on the gas pumps here in the US.

There is a 7 to 8 point difference between the numbers used by China and many other places in the world including Europe vs the number value used here in the USA to rate the octane content/capacity of gasoline...I have no idea what Australia uses as its method to ascertain octane rating, maybe @Anton will let us know if he sees this...lol.
91 RON is your standard "cat's piss" petrol in AUS. About the same as 87 gasoline in the US.

They ride Kangaroo's down under, there are no cars or even motors. They have all been banned.
That would be one bumpy ride! Did you know that there a no native hoofed animals down here, they were all introduced.

Yea, they be speakin funny too!
Yep sure do, gasoline is called petrol here ;)

I've been busy, just dropped in for fun.
OP is probably long gone but here is the skinny on carbon: It comes from poorly burnt oil or fuel.
You either have too much or are not burning it well. Get the air/fuel mixture (jetting) right.
Air/fuel mixture is very important, as is oil control in a 4stroke and oil type and ratio in a 2 stroke.
Synthetic oils are the cleanest and for the little we use I would recommend them.

As for additives I would fix the root cause and avoid wasting your money on them.
Most reduce the lubricity on 2 strokes.

As a machinist, millwright, enthusiast and trades instructor I come from decades of motor rebuilding experience.
13248537_10154077918815803_6435954092961409860_o.jpg

OP is probably long gone but here is the skinny on carbon: It comes from poorly burnt oil or fuel.
You either have too much or are not burning it well. Get the air/fuel mixture (jetting) right.
Air/fuel mixture is very important, as is oil control in a 4stroke and oil type and ratio in a 2 stroke.
Synthetic oils are the cleanest and for the little we use I would recommend them.

As for additives I would fix the root cause and avoid wasting your money on them.

As a machinist, millwright, enthusiast and trades instructor I come from decades of motor rebuilding experience.
This was the primary reason I was asking what stroke engine was being used.

Here's what most people don;t understand about oil and a 2 stroke. You are not trying to burn all the oil away. The oil contains detergents, to clean up any carbon that is create din the combustion process. Yep, fuel is loaded with carbon. They call it a hydrocarbon.... An there is a bunch of other junk in it. By running so lean on oil, you have nothing to carry away the combustion debris. People think they are doing their motor and the environment a favor. When really they are now just ruining their engine, and making gases that are hard to break down with a hotter burn. The oil, is almost gone within a few days ( the amount from our bikes that passes through), there are bacteria that eat it living everywhere. Running more oil, jetted properly, will leave a cleaner combustion chamber. Vs, saving a few bucks or trying to be cool running weedeater levels. A weedeater does not have to put up with the loads out bikes do. More oil, more power ( seals the rings better), detergent lefts over to carry away combustion debris, cleaner cylinder and piston. Think of it like this, how much dirt will a shot glass of water hold? How much will a solo cup hold. Yeah, that solo cup of oil can carry more, just like if you put enough oil in your mix. More oil is better, less oil sounds cool, but kills your engine, and you produce less power, and leave more carbon ( nothing to carry it away). An when running more oil, the carbon is softer, easier to clean off, less oil it is harder and really puts a hurt on the engine, not to mention can cause preignition.

Edit: and by burning such a lean oil ratio, and burning all the oil away, you create more carbon, and leave nothing left to lube the rings and cylinder for the next round. More oil, better running 2 stroke, longer living. When jetted correctly.

Back