Carborator noob

As far as gas coming out of it means your float isn't shutting fuel flow from the tank off via the needle when bowl is full. You just need to take it apart and eyeball everything to ensure it's working correctly. There's youtube vids to guide you if you search for them. Old carb can be used for parts.
I've taken it apart and it seems like the float is moving freely and it's cutting off fuel when it reaches the top, put it back in, same issue- runs for a bit then cuts off, fuel starts leaking out of that silver tube at the top and it won't restart for ages.

Attachments

• 15376839155355610683527667545984.jpg
    15376839155355610683527667545984.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 151
  • 15376839386727170753272082111596.jpg
    15376839386727170753272082111596.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 140
I switched the 2 stroke oil additive . seems to run better. Think thats why my fuel entrance point to carb was clogged. Poked with a plastic toothpick. Works fine now. Just need new gas lines. Dirty residue.

2000 miles? Your not a newb at all. What was your question again?
Wondering if a high performance carb would give me better gas mileage. Better up n go maybe.. And would a different muffler help? Like a catback exhaust for cars improves performance? Need one of those for a 49cc. LoL

I got one of those cheap HP carbs + filter (SHA clone for $25 set from BMW with the jets), and got 2-3mph more top, but not sure if it was just the open air filter that did it. then little bit tuning with different jets over the course of a few months till I got it good as it was gonna be. little bit better gas mileage too. Again, more likely it was just the filter letting more air in. you can hear the engine more with that cone filter too.
depends on how much you want performance at WOT if it's worth it to get a Mikuni or other good carb.
I think if just wanting more efficient running, get an air filter and then think about an expansion pipe.
smaller back sprocket will also help mpg but not when you do hills
lightly modded now but my 48cc last long road trip I got 75-90mpg with a stock muffler

I've taken it apart and it seems like the float is moving freely and it's cutting off fuel when it reaches the top, put it back in, same issue- runs for a bit then cuts off, fuel starts leaking out of that silver tube at the top and it won't restart for ages.

If fuel is leaking out of the overflow, then the float isn't shutting off fuel like it should. It's flooding out.

Your needle valve isn't seating properly is my guess when the float is lifted with the bowl being full, or the float is adjusted improperly. With the carb off if you blow through the fuel inlet tube w/the float lifted with your hand you should not be able to blow through the fuel tube. It's really a simple mechanism. You should be able to figure it out. The float travel is really small and nothing should obstruct it...…………………………..

If fuel is leaking out of the overflow, then the float isn't shutting off fuel like it should. It's flooding out.
That fits the description, but the float seems to be working - blocking off fuel (blocks it off completely at 90° on the dot basicly) and moving freely
I don't think you can adjust the float due to it being plastic either.
Just a question, would it possibly be caused by an airleak somewhere? It does seem to huff a bit when I try to pull start it

Is your engine sitting level in the bike? If it's nose down the float won't shut off.
It's only got about 5° nose down tilt, I can't really change that due to it being quite a tight squeeze into the frame (wouldn't going downhill do that as well?)

5 degrees should be OK, but try to level it out if you can; it'll run better. These little farm/industrial engines are rarely set up level in their water-pump or generator applications.

Back