carborator

raymond bond

Local time
7:44 AM
Hi I have a 80 cc 2-stroke engine and I can start the engine when the carborator closed but when I open it it dies why is this happening?

Lean or improper jetting my friend.

Also use Google Maps and check the distance from sea level.
Stock jetting and needle setting is rich, not lean.
Lean condition would most likely be be caused by an air leak (vacuum leak) in the intake, usually where the carb is clamped onto the intake manifold.
A foreign object in the carb is possible but less likely.

Stock jetting and needle setting is rich, not lean.
Lean condition would most likely be be caused by an air leak (vacuum leak) in the intake, usually where the carb is clamped onto the intake manifold.
A foreign object in the carb is possible but less likely.
would gas gummed up have the same problems as I am having. Hurricane Harvey I was trying to start my engine in it didn't I forgot to empty my gas before hurricane Harvey out of my carburetor. Would that contributed to the problem is I'm having

Last edited by a moderator:
Again are you saying the engine runs with the choke fully closed. Then dies when you open the choke? Is this a new engine or one that has been running fine and suddenly started having this problem.

Again are you saying the engine runs with the choke fully closed. Then dies when you open the choke? Is this a new engine or one that has been running fine and suddenly started having this problem.
It is a new engine

It is a new engine
1 question answered 1 left unanswered. The way the folks on here are able to help you is through the info you provide. Ok new engine. Is this your first experience with motorized bikes, and answer my previous question about the choke. Is it a NT carb. If so lever down is choke off. If it is the dellorto clone lever down is choke on. Give us some details.

I a

i am in port Aransas Texas 15 miles away from corpus cristy tx
You may want to run that a bit richer in the summer as for the area check the incline area from your farthest point of drive to closest then check that next to sea level height...

If I'm correct Texas is mainly flat land close to sea level in reference to jetting a carb jet size doesn't shrink until you hit about 2,000.00 above sea level.... so your fine.

Your carb may need just tuning sounds like your slide screw setting needs to go in some which lifts the slide up giving more idle.

Your plug is still going to help you more then I can at this point.

"Coffee brown" perfect
black = too rich
Ashy yellow or turning white at the tip= to hot meaning running lean.

Check your intake bolts..... make sure they are at proper torque.

If all fails you have a bad carbuerator or either a dirty air filter.

Back